Mountain Project Logo

First Pieces of Pro to buy, specifically for building TR anchors

eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525
Tim Lau wrote: Yes sir...I'm in Hendersonville.
In that case, you'll definitely want some tricams for when you transition to leading. I'd suggest getting a set of nuts and red and pink tri-cams to start. As you get more experience, you'll get a better idea of what you need so start out with a light rack and try to borrow stuff that you don't have but need.
Tony B · · Around Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 24,665
Michael C wrote: Since cams runs around $30 each (last I checked) ...
Huh???? Wow. Used? That's sure cheap.
Andy P. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 190

I post this from time to time but just an FYI that DMM and Wild Country share color coding for sizes across all there passive pro ranges. I think it extends to cams as well but I am not 100% sure as both British companies are now trying to share BD's cam color-size coding.

Anyway, although it is a bit more money I suggest buying passive pro from those companies because you get tons of options and the colors are easy to learn.

Gary Talavera · · Swall Meadows, CA · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 30

Share the cost with your partner.

When I started climbing I took a class with a good friend who also wanted to climb. We took a class on climbing basics then took a class on anchors.

Fortunately, the anchor class was given at a local crag where we were going to be doing most of our climbing. After the class, we went back to the store and asked one of the instructors what we should buy to set up topropes at that crag. His response was pretty much the same as the posts here: static rope, webbing, slings, cord, carabiners (at least four lockers), nuts and either tricams or hexes.

My friend bought 30 feet of 11mm static, tricams and nuts, slings and carabiners and I bought 40 feet of 11mm static, hexes, slings, webbing, carabiners and 7mm cord for an equalette and quad. We slowly added cams,working from the middle sizes and then outward. Worked out great when he had his first child and stopped climbing and sold me all his gear.

Mark your gear so you don't get it mixed up with your partner.

Patrick Cannon · · London, GB · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 20

If you do decide to pickup some static rope for anchors, Sterling do excellent deals on non-standard lengths / offcuts

e.g. 15-25M of 9mm static for $26:
sterlingrope.com/c/climbing…

grega Albrechtsen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 15

The very first thing you should buy is: an instructor lead course.

Done.

After the course, you'll know exactly what gear you need.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "First Pieces of Pro to buy, specifically for bu…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started