WC technical friends - first cams and value

Original Post
Thefryman · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 3

Hi all,

Trad gumbie here. I was browsing the local letgo postings today and came across a full set of WC technical friends (all cams 00-4s). According to the poster and the pictures, they look nearly new and were only used to build TR anchors a few times.

After inquiring, it turns out that they are willing to sell all 12 for 230.. My first reaction is that this is a hell of a deal and that I should jump on it. AmI crazy or is this an absolute steal at roughly 19 per cam?

Also, in general, how do you all feel about the tech friends as a first set of cams and in general? Outdoor research listed them as a 3/5 due to "short stem" and "tendency to walk." Any merit to these claims? Are these a legit piece of equipment to trust with one's life?

Thanks to all for any help!

Barrett Pauer · · Brevard, NC · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 775

Sounds like a good deal to get into trad climbing

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 35

Condition? As a bargain hunter I'd offer 200 and walk away with a nice set and start climbing. Assuming condition.

Danger-Russ Gordon · · Orem UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 590

I'd be all over that deal

Daniel H. Bryant · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 275

Firstly, awesome job finding a deal outside of here.

Thefryman wrote:"tendency to walk."
I haven't had my rigid friends walk out, but:
I have seen them pivot in place, placed facing down in a vertical crack for pro on lead, then when I went to belay my second up (tension now on the rope, runners, and gear), they would pivot upwards in the direction of the tension.
The good news is that they didn't pop out on me or my followers, but will pivot or 'walk' a little in place.

I like em.
CornCob · · Sandy, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 20

Personally I have only used the #5 and #6 that I borrowed for a Vedauwoo trip. I did not care for them at all; they didn't feel as "user friendly" as my C4's. The single axle made the large cam lobes feel very floppy compared to the double axle. Maybe in the smaller sizes this isn't as noticeable.

They are legit cams that I'm sure lots of people like, I just personally don't like them. That said, for less than $20 a cam I could easily get used to them.

There's also a video somewhere out there about slinging them to negate the stem.

Goto min 6.

https://youtu.be/QL1wRnov_d4

Sorry. Was in another reality and assumed you were talking about rigid stem cams. Probably not, huh. Once I stepped away I was like
"That makes no sense". In which case offer 200 and your golden.

Thefryman · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 3

No worries man, yeah they are the flexible stem one.

Thanks all, I'm gonna grab these bad boys. Happy climbing!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply