Arc'teryx jacket layer system


Original Post
Stanley Baker · · Seattle, WA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 20

So I was in the market for a new mid layer and my friend mentioned to me after seeing me in an arc'teryx jacket that he works for a child company (or something like that) and can get massive discounts on their products.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Arc'teryx stuff, I just know they're good quality (and priced high). I've been wearing a thin hoodie and a Mountain Equipment soft shell over it (I live in Seattle, lots of drizzle here pretty much all the time). As it's getting colder though I'm finding the hoodie is just not enough for the cold.

So to be clear on what I'm looking for, I will be using this for daily wear to keep warm. I will also use these for climbing (single pitch) and bouldering along with typical approach hiking. I do not need something insanely warm since our winters are pretty mild, but I have pretty bad circulation and I weigh next to nothing so I get cold pretty easily (think about those stupid small dogs that have to wear sweaters because they can't dog normally).

After going to REI to try some stuff on, I'm thinking I'll get a Fortrez Hoody for a mid layer and an Atom LT Hoody for a warmth layer and probably keep my Mountain Equipment soft shell.

Anybody have any opinions on the Fortrez? I know the Atom LT is pretty much loved by everybody that has it.

cmqr9001 Black · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

I have a fortrez and like it quite a bit. The fit on it isn't that great on that one particular piece (mostly around the waist and back, too much material), but I just took mine to a seamstress and had it fitted for $20 and it's perfect now. It's nice and stretchy, really breathable, and decently water repellent. I really like the built in balaclava hood most of all though. If I were to buy again, I'd probably get a pullover style instead of full zip, like either the Patagonia R1 or Arc'teryx Konseal hoody. I just like pullovers more.

Stanley Baker · · Seattle, WA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 20
Christian Black wrote:I have a fortrez and like it quite a bit. The fit on it isn't that great on that one particular piece (mostly around the waist and back, too much material), but I just took mine to a seamstress and had it fitted for $20 and it's perfect now. It's nice and stretchy, really breathable, and decently water repellent. I really like the built in balaclava hood most of all though. If I were to buy again, I'd probably get a pullover style instead of full zip, like either the Patagonia R1 or Arc'teryx Konseal hoody. I just like pullovers more.
I tried the fortrez on at a store and it actually fits me really well. I tried on their delta LT and it fit completely different (way too wide at the bottom).

That's funny about pullover vs zip up. I will look at something and like it until I realize it is a pullover.
cmqr9001 Black · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Well if it's fits you well it's a great piece. I feel like for my personal uses though I should have gone with something lighter weight like the Konseal. It's still a great jacket though and I use mine all the time.

BrianVarick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

I have the Fortrez, Gamma Mx soft shell, Cerium Lt and Beta LT. I am 6'1" so I wish the fortrez was a little longer. I recently got the thermal weight capilene hoody and I love it. It's not as warm but that makes it much more useful for me. I would rather have the konseal for that reason. The Gamma jacket is awesome, I just wish it had a hood because I use it as an outer layer all the time. It has the best shoulder articulation of any jacket I have ever used. The cerium and beta jackets are both great as well. I don't have a need for the atom because it's about the same warmth and weight as a fleece but it's more fragile. I wouldn't want to climb in it, but have no problem with the fortrez.

Stanley Baker · · Seattle, WA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 20
BrianVarick wrote:I have the Fortrez, Gamma Mx soft shell, Cerium Lt and Beta LT. I am 6'1" so I wish the fortrez was a little longer. I recently got the thermal weight capilene hoody and I love it. It's not as warm but that makes it much more useful for me. I would rather have the konseal for that reason. The Gamma jacket is awesome, I just wish it had a hood because I use it as an outer layer all the time. It has the best shoulder articulation of any jacket I have ever used. The cerium and beta jackets are both great as well. I don't have a need for the atom because it's about the same warmth and weight as a fleece but it's more fragile. I wouldn't want to climb in it, but have no problem with the fortrez.
So are you saying the Atom is about the warmth level as the fortrez?
Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 40
loafcrimp wrote: So are you saying the Atom is about the warmth level as the fortrez?
The Atom is warmer than the Fortrez. Just look at both pieces and you can tell.
Stanley Baker · · Seattle, WA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 20
Bill Kirby wrote: The Atom is warmer than the Fortrez. Just look at both pieces and you can tell.
That's what I would assume but I have only tried them on, not worn them in the cold for extended periods of time.
BrianVarick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

I think they are pretty close and only get closer as the atom loses its loft. The atom has mesh side panels which aren't very warm at all.

Stanley Baker · · Seattle, WA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 20
BrianVarick wrote:I think they are pretty close and only get closer as the atom loses its loft. The atom has mesh side panels which aren't very warm at all.
How long did your atom last before it lost its loft? That's one thing I'm a little concerned about with down/synthetic down jackets.
cmqr9001 Black · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

Synthetics will lose their loft much faster than down if you compress them. I've heard people say an Atom or will typically last 3-5 years and lose most of its loft and warmth while a down will maintain its integrity for much longer.

Also, atom lt will block wind better, but wind cuts through fortrez without hesitation.

Stanley Baker · · Seattle, WA · Joined May 2013 · Points: 20
Christian Black wrote:Synthetics will lose their loft much faster than down if you compress them. I've heard people say an Atom or will typically last 3-5 years and lose most of its loft and warmth while a down will maintain its integrity for much longer. Also, atom lt will block wind better, but wind cuts through fortrez without hesitation.
Yeah that's what I've read about the loft. Also from this message board some quote from a rep saying that if you wear synthetic daily it could go in as quickly as 3 months. That's why I'm a curious about the Atom and wearing it as a daily jacket (which in that case sounds like bad idea).
Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 40
loafcrimp wrote: Yeah that's what I've read about the loft. Also from this message board some quote from a rep saying that if you wear synthetic daily it could go in as quickly as 3 months. That's why I'm a curious about the Atom and wearing it as a daily jacket (which in that case sounds like bad idea).
The Fortrez would be kinda tight to wear out and about. My Fortrez Hoody fits well under a Cap 1 long sleeve base layer but not a cotton T shirt.

I have a few synthetic puffys that have lost some warmth. It's not crazy noticeable. The last time I can think of I wore a ragged out Patagonia down sweater when it was night and 10 degrees out. I also have an Arcteryx Dually that's almost ten years old. It's as warm as the day I bought it.
BrianVarick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

^I am surprised you think that. Mine wears like a regular fleece that you can size up or down depending on how you want to layer it. I can't imagine it being worn under a light baselayer.

Bill Kirby · · Baltimore Maryland · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 40
BrianVarick wrote:^I am surprised you think that. Mine wears like a regular fleece that you can size up or down depending on how you want to layer it. I can't imagine it being worn under a light baselayer.
I wear just a base layer, the Fortrez and Marmot ROM when it's in the teens. Works well for me.

I probably shouldn't have written any of that. I wear custom size 52 suits. My upper body has way more fat and muscle than a normal person. Should've wrote your mileage may vary. That sounds cool..
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply