Mountain Project Logo

Trail work at the darkside at shelf?

Original Post
johnsonbrad1 · · Golden, Colorado · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

First trip to Shelf for the seasons, and we wanted to get some shade at the darkside this weekend. Climbing around Enchanted Porkfist the area around the base of the climbs is eroding very fast. It is much worse than it was last year. I'm not sure who handles trail work at shelf, I'm guessing its Pikes Peak Climbers something since I saw signs at the toilets about getting funding to add another bathroom there.

Anyone know if a trail day is being planned to get this area back under control? If not know who I can contact to see if we can get the ball rolling on this? I haven't done any trail days myself, so not sure where to begin, but I'd be happy to drive down from Boulder and help out getting this area fixed up.

Alex Ghiggeri · · Denver, Colorado · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 5

that is access fund property.... they do the maintenance. contact them i thought there was just an event there or there is one happening soon.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 83

You can reach out to RMFI. They do a lot of trail work. You can also look into the Craggin Classic this weekend and see where they are going to do trail work.

Brendan Armesy · · Fort Collins CO · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 85

As someone who is going to volunteer at the crag gin classic i wouldn't be mad if you suggested the dark side. Last time I went we did some stuff at Cactus Cliff so maybe they'd be down to move to a different area to do work. You could also email the folks at Pike Peak Climbers Alliance and let them know what needs work

johnsonbrad1 · · Golden, Colorado · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 10

Thanks for the responses. I'm headed to Castle Valley this weekend, so won't be able to make it to any trail days for the CC this weekend. I'll contact the groups mentioned, and see where we go from there.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply