Mountain Project Logo

RIP Walla Walla and Yellow Pine crag

Original Post
Yeitti · · Colorado or sometimes LA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 30

Looks like some irresponsible careless idiots have decided to burn the beautiful area around these 2 great moderate crags. Looks like the fire is burning right up over yellow pine wall. this is sad, people suck

pic of fire
ktnv.com/news/crews-respond…

the pic is from KTNV channel 13 news

They are saying that "lost hikers started fire to stay warm" I SAY ARSON! This is NOT ACCEPTABLE!
Doug Foust · · Henderson, Nevada · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 165

Wow, huge bummer - Yellow Pine is the best moderate crag on Charleston. Hopefully it somehow escapes damage.

"by Marvin ClemonsSaturday, October 15th 2016

The October Fire is burning near Big Falls on Mt. Charleston. It is located across from Mary Jane Falls where two small fires were burning last week. 10/14/16 (Photo Courtesy: Mike Ibasco)

AA
MOUNT CHARLESTON, NEV. (KSNV News3LV) — 1:30 P.M. SUNDAY UPDATE: Officials say the October Fire fire was caused by an illegal campfire. “There have been five human started fires in the last 30 days,” said SMNRA Area Manager Donn Christiansen. “We ask that all visitors help ensure public safety by adhering to our fire restriction that will remain in place through the end of October. This means that campfires are only permitted within established fire rings at designated campgrounds and picnic areas.”
9:35 A.M. SUNDAY UPDATE: The fire grew two acres to 27 overnight, primarily because of strong overnight winds that gusted to 60 mph"

michelle w · · las vegas, nv · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

I seen this on the news and felt anger and sad. Walla Walla Wash was where I did my first lead.

Jacob Koffler · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 10

Wow you have to be !#$%ing kidding me. I hate people so much sometimes. Yellow pine is such a beautiful wall, I really really hope it will be ok :(

james schaefer · · Henderson, NV · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 10

heartbreaking.

http://news3lv.com/news/local/october-fire-nears-35-containment-on-mt-charleston-caused-by-careless-campfire

These people starting these fires should be deported to Iraq

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 4,874

The burn area as of 10am October 17. This is called the October Fire. The latitude and longitude coordinates mark almost the exact location of Walla Walla Wash.

Burn area for October Fire. 10/17/16 10am.
Michael Kimm · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jun 2007 · Points: 2,515

How on God's green earth did hikers get lost on the Mary Jane Trail?? The wash leads to the parking lot! You can walk from one slope to the other, at the widest point, in under five minutes! What a damn waste.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

So SAD!!! :(
It'll take a long time for those trees to come back ...just look at the areas the carpenter 1 impacted

Nick Votto · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 320

Bill those jerks for the cost of the fire crew and the equipment!

Leslie McG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 410
Michael Kimm wrote:How on God's green earth did hikers get lost on the Mary Jane Trail?? The wash leads to the parking lot! You can walk from one slope to the other, at the widest point, in under five minutes! What a damn waste.
My climbing partner and I once saw a CAR on the Mary Jane trail. A girl literally had driven past the parking lot, and bathrooms, and UP the trail. She parked off to the side, maybe a 1/4 of a mile from the bathrooms. We saw her looking for her car and were like WTF. She didnt even realize she wasn't supposed to park there.Honestly, some people are clueless when it comes to the outdoors!
Thomas Beck · · Las Vegas, Nevada · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,040

We hiked up to the Imagination Wall and then over the saddle into the Universal Wall today. Mary Jane parking lot was closed to entry. We did not glimpse the burned area but there was no evidence of fire damage above and east of Yellow Pine

The Fire fighter manning the gate told me the fire was one of 4 small fires started by people building campfires. They found 6 fresh fire rings between the Mary Jane trail head and the where the wash turns the corner to go up to Big Falls...about 150 yards past Walla Walla. The fire turned the corner and entered the Big Falls gully. The order came down to get right on it because the winds were so high last few days.
He said the firs consumed the downed underbrush, dead aspen leaves, pine needles and such and got into a few trees. It's unlikely the limestone was exfoliated this time.

The Forest Service was falling a few burned trees in the area today.
The area should be open by the weekend the firefighter said.

There is construction in the south area around Trail Canyon parking lot as a contractor renovates one the Well Head enclosures.

We found 4 fire rings of varying age on the hike we did. Two newer ones at the base of the Universal Wall left of the Szar Wall route and one on the descent trail.

I don't know how to more effectively get out the message that open fires are a really bad idea. Signs post no open fire in places. My only other thought is that if the old Ski area was re-opened to use then people starting open fires might do it in that area where they are more easily observed.

dnoB ekiM · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 2,560

This might be common knowledge by now, but Walla and YP are 100% unharmed by this fire.
There is burn right by the trail up to YP and on the right just where the wall ends, but there is not any burn on the trail itself or against the wall itself. Walla Walla had fire just to the right of it and even a bit past it in the wash but not by the wall. The rock at both locations is untouched and unharmed.

In general (beyond the climbing) the fire damage was not extensive and it appears the area will recover quickly (many trees appear to have survived).

Thanks to all the firefighters who saved this area!

sign

A little burn on the trail

Still yellow

YP not burned

YP Trail Area

Walla Walla not burned

Right of walla
Burn area from MJF Trail
ww wash
Jon O'Brien · · Nevada · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 405

Helluva job fire fighters! Thank you!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.