Mountain Project Logo

Do TCUs still have their place?

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105
C devries wrote:The dmm tri-cam units are great.
Sadly the 3CU appears to be discontinued... Still listed on DMM's site but I cannot find them for sale anywhere
JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56
Ted Pinson wrote: C3 <8
Those are the ones I still own and love.
Ball · · Oakridge, OR · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 70

This is a very odd thread. What "small cam options' do you think make TCUs obsolete? I've had the old 0.1 and 0.2 BDs since they first came out and don't think they're that different than the new X4s. I also have the old friend zeros and don't see much difference. I've fallen on the grey zero cam, but wouldn't bother taking it on harder rock because TCUs just fit better.

I pretty much won't climb granite without TCUs. They're the only thing that will fit in small gaps in dihedral seams which are so common in 11s and up.

I swap them out for 4CUs when I hit soft sandstone, but for harder rock TCUs are a must. Hell, I wish I had a red TCU.

mattm · · TX · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 1,885
Ball wrote: ...because TCUs just fit better. I pretty much won't climb granite without TCUs. They're the only thing that will fit in small gaps in dihedral seams which are so common in 11s and up.
TCUs definitely still have their place. They're utility will be area dependent but there are 100% areas that the 3 cam "tripod" placement works better than the 4CU setup. Seams and cracks in dihedrals (as noted above by several) often like just one cam on a face. TCUs and Offsets rule the tips, granite dihedral world. I've moved over to C3s for the most part as they don't have the U-Stem cable that would occasionally mess with a seam that pinched down completely .
Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422
Ball wrote:Hell, I wish I had a red TCU.
Could probably fix that for you...
Lynn Evenson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 60

In shallow cracks, flares and pin scars, especially horizontal nightmares, absolutely.

Nate Nate · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 10
Mike Pal17 wrote:They don't walk; they pivot.
TCU's make a great multidirectional first piece for this very reason.
Optimistic · · New Paltz · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 450
Lynn Evenson wrote:In shallow cracks, flares and pin scars, especially horizontal nightmares, absolutely.
Do they perform differently than a BD C3?
Dankasaurus · · Lyons, CO · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 85

Bump for TCUs: Light, cheap, reliable design, no known systematic manufacturing quality issues, available in perfect offset sizes for scars.

They're like little little chocolate donuts

Jeremy Polk · · Sandy, UT · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 5

They're awesome! They are a permanent part of my standard rack. The orange one especially gets a lot of use. I have taken big falls on them and never had one pop. Also, as someone else mentioned, they don't walk, they pivot. To me that's a pretty big deal. An Alien that gets pulled perpendicular to the rock will probably fail if fallen on where a TCU will pivot down to the direction of pull. They are super light and don't take up much space on your harness.

Alex CV · · Greater NYC area · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 235

I have done two hard-for-me routes where the green BD C3 was a pretty essential piece. Nothing else would go in at one place for one of these routes and I probably would not have led it if the placement didn't exist. I have since then become a big fan. But I still use Aliens most often.

- Alex

Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

I started my rack with camaots and aliens. Last year I got a set of TCU and I'm sorry didn't get them 10 years ago. They are more useful then tricams.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Do TCUs still have their place?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started