Mountain Project Logo

Thread on belay loop coming loose. Time to replace?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Rich zz wrote: My PAS is always on the right side of the belay loop even though the photo shows it on the left. I always tie in from the left side.
Absolutes like these are what can cause a lot of wear in the same spot.
Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 422

He has it through the harness loops, there's not any real concern about abrading wear in that.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Healyje wrote:He has it through the harness loops, there's not any real concern about abrading wear in that.
Yep, not an issue in this instance. I just have a bit of a gut reaction about "always" doing something in climbing (and no, I'm not talking about the stultifyingly obvious "always check your knot" and the like).
Yer Gonna Die · · Cragville · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 175
Marc801 wrote: Yep, not an issue in this instance. I just have a bit of a gut reaction about "always" doing something in climbing (and no, I'm not talking about the stultifyingly obvious "always check your knot" and the like).
i think doing thing always a specific way when it only applies to you is ok. i always do things a specific way so it's consistent for me and i just know something's wrong just by the feel of it.
Suburban Roadside · · Abovetraffic on Hudson · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 2,419

John, I was not criticizing what you said.

john strand wrote: he died because a part of the harness failed and should have been replaced sooner.
YES indeed, NO Doubt !,
Doubling Up, Redundancy
A piece of tied cord was all that was needed to avoid that tragedy.
Doubling Up, Redundancy . . .

As many here have said, it is a personal call. The harness looks almost new, & is fine in my opinion.
But My opinion is not what counts.
What does count is how YOU feel when, it is after dark, and you have to hang out
and wait for your turn to rap. That is when the hobgoblins of doubt, grow in magnitude
while 'the what If's' are running through your mind.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Thread on belay loop coming loose. Time to repl…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.