Mountain Project Logo

Mt. Washington - Winter Ascent Partners

Original Post
RRod · · Chicago, IL · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Hi Everyone:

Looking to put together a team of three or four in an attempt on Mt. Washington this winter. I'd prefer folks with North Cascade experience or Mt. Washington knowledge.

I'll pass along my climbing resume to interested parties!

Cheers!
Ryan

Brian BH · · Boston · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

What dates are you looking at? Might be interested, I did Washington in the winter a few times.

RRod · · Chicago, IL · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

Hi there, I am thinking in January, but open to suggestions. I'll send you a PM. Thanks!

Mark Ra · · Frange, CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

I might be up there for ice fest if you want to give it a go that weekend. I've hiked to the summit in the summer and have been as far as the alpine garden in the winter via the lionshead winter trail. Are you looking to hike a trail or climb a gully?

Dave Leydet · · West Point, NY · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 90

I would be interested as well. I attempted to climb in huntington a few winters back but was shut down by weather/conditions. Would love to get back up there.

Nate K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 225

youre putting together a team for an attempt on mt. washington? its like a 5 hour hike....

Mark Ra · · Frange, CO · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Nate K wrote:youre putting together a team for an attempt on mt. washington? its like a 5 hour hike....
5 hours of serious business Nate.

Sure it's a 5 hour hike but how would you have preferred to see RRod phrase his request? He's flying solo and looking for people to hike with him. Weather can be bad and the hike requires crampons and an axe in winter. The last time I was up there we had ~50mph wind and blowing snow. It isn't unreasonable to want to assemble a group to hike together.
mfskibum · · Boston, MA · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 80

I'm game as well. Would love to link up climbing a mod snow/easy ice route with ski descent.

Ron Birk · · Boston, MA · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 3,467
Nate K wrote:youre putting together a team for an attempt on mt. washington? its like a 5 hour hike....
We all have different skills and experience. I think it's smart to get a group together for mt Washington in winter. Sure some solo technical routes but not everyone has the skills and experience needed. Or simply don't want to do it solo.
sara pax · · western mass · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 208

If you do it on a reasonably nice weekend, you will not be "solo" by a long shot.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply