Skinning Maroon pass in February


Original Post
Kevin O'Mally · · Philadelphia,pa · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

I was wondering if it's possible to skin the maroon pass from cb to aspen straight through. I know the "grand traverse" is a thing that zig zags through the pass, any info would help, I have avi 2 and a lot of experience so please if you could refrain from explaining the dangers. Thanks.

aha · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

Yes, it is possible, without mention of danger.

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 451
Kevin O'Mally wrote:I was wondering if it's possible to skin the maroon pass from cb to aspen straight through. I know the "grand traverse" is a thing that zig zags through the pass, any info would help, I have avi 2 and a lot of experience so please if you could refrain from explaining the dangers. Thanks.
I'm confused... if you have all this experience, why do you need to ask if it's possible? You should be able to look at a map and use your previous experience to answer that question. So what's your real reason for asking?
Craeg Dubh · · grand jct. · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 155

So assuming you are speaking about west maroon pass you must first ski through gothic and over schofield pass (about 8miles) which may or may not be broken before you begin the climb to the pass. The most direct route I know of is up middle brush creek past the friends hut,over pearl pass and then going west past the Tagert hut and on down to Ashcroft. This is still about 9 miles from Aspen itself.

Eric Klammer · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 2,075

Sure you could, but it would be quite a trip without a sled to get you to and from the trail heads at either end. As was mentioned above, winter conditions add around 20 miles that are drivable in summer to this route.

And I don't believe the Grand Traverse ever goes over West Maroon, instead heading over Star Pass to make it to Aspen. There are some pretty good maps of the course that may help you out on the Grand Traverse website.

Kevin O'Mally · · Philadelphia,pa · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0
John Byrnes wrote: I was wondering if it's possible to skin the maroon pass from cb to aspen straight through. I know the "grand traverse" is a thing that zig zags through the pass, any info would help, I have avi 2 and a lot of experience so please if you could refrain from explaining the dangers. Thanks. I'm confused... if you have all this experience, why do you need to ask if it's possible? You should be able to look at a map and use your previous experience to answer that question. So what's your real reason for asking?   I was looking for beta, and if it's done regularly. 
John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 451
Kevin O'Mally wrote:I was looking for beta, and if it's done regularly. 

Then ask for beta and don't ask "if it's possible".    The two are completely different things.   Beta would only exist if someone had done it, therefore possible.  Duh.

And learn to quote properly.  I don't like having my name associated with things I didn't write.

Kevin O'Mally · · Philadelphia,pa · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0
John Byrnes wrote:

Then ask for beta and don't ask "if it's possible".    The two are completely different things.   Beta would only exist if someone had done it, therefore possible.  Duh.

And learn to quote properly.  I don't like having my name associated with things I didn't write.

You wanna give me a lesson on that too? 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply