Mountain Project Logo

Dropped Cam... Still good?

Xam · · Boulder, Co · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 76
Cory F wrote: Do you have a link to this study and/or more information? I'd love to read it.
CU Study
Gumby King · · The Gym · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 52

Thanks Xam!

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
Nick N wrote:So today I accidentally dropped my friend's #1 camalot about 50 ft while cleaning a route. When we got down we inspected it and it only had a little ding on a lobe and one of the wires needed to be moved a bit on the trigger. It looks fine, but are there potential problems that we can't see? Like some kind of hairline fracture that'll explode it if it's fallen on or something? Thanks
climbing friend,

yes.

it would be OK if no significant visible deformities in metal structures there are any.

microfractures the myth they are.
Lee Green · · Edmonton, Alberta · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 51
Cory F wrote: Do you have a link to this study and/or more information? I'd love to read it.
Here's a first-hand account from one of the people who conducted the testing: outdoorsafetyinstitute.com/… Geir Hundal reports that REI did something very similar: geir.com/mythbuster.html

Caveat that these tests were done with 'biners not cams. However, the metal behaves the same. The issue with cams would be damage to the mechanism. If it works, it works; if it seems sticky, misaligned, loose, or otherwise wonky, don't trust it. If you're concerned about the mechanism, try putting full body weight on it while either close to the ground or on toprope, just to be sure it doesn't misbehave under load. But don't worry about the metal exploding.
that guy named seb · · Britland · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 236
Ross Ayer wrote:Stress fractures are a very serious concern and often cannot be seen. Best bet is to retire it as a Christmas tree ornament.
Is that what they are calling micro fractures these days?
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Dropped Cam... Still good?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started