Reserved a spot at the AAC Gunks campground, but not going?

Original Post
Brassmonkey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 0

Not sure if this will work the way I envision it, but it seems that some people are reserving spots at the Gunks AAC campground (aka Samuel F. Pryor III Shawangunk Gateway Campground) but not showing up. This happens all the time at campgrounds and clearly isn't a big deal, but it seems to be a regular theme that there are more hopeful campers than spots (I'm biting my toungue at the shitshow planning that was/is this "AAC gunks" campground, amount of sites, size, price, etc. etc. etc).

What if we started a thread where hopeful climbers can ask if others are not showing up, and if so if they can use their site and/or pay them for it?

Soooooooooo, I'm going to the Gunks this weekend but the campground is full, is anybody not planning on going that has a spot reserved? :)

Ron Birk · · Boston, MA · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 3,303

Not all sites are reservable too. They have some walk-ins.

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,361

Campground policy may prevent you from using a site registered by someone else (?). It probably should be in your name/on your credit card for liability and other financial reasons.

Maybe inquire with the campground to determine if cancellations made on the website take effect immediately and that spot becomes available, that way you could coordinate with someone cancelling and snag the spot the second after they click the cancel button.

The problem with this method is that now you both paid full price. Cancellation gives you no refund.

Its a problem that I would be willing to pay the individual who has the site? I pay them, I use the site. I would be the only one paying. I am aware of the zero refund (bullshit) cancellation fee which is why no one cancels. If its done quietly it may work.

Ron I am aware of the walk-ins, but what if you work on a Friday and drive up after but all walk-ins are taken. Now you're in a bind, and its 11 or 12 and you're tired with no "legal" place to sleep.

I hear you and agree on it all. I booked a camp site last May (in advanced). Ended up not going but never cancelled. Why would I?

I wish the AAC site was never built. It hasn't made anything better, rather opposite in my opinion. Now you don't have anywhere to camp anymore.

If it were a true "climbers" campground they would at least accept cancellations if there was another individual immediately paying. No one loses money and it can be done in a way that all are covered. Campgrounds do it all the time.

Funny thing is most of the "climbers", aka families with kids, always sound confused and surprised when I tell them its the AAC climbers campground. They say no, I'm at the Samuel F. Pryor Campground. smh

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,361
Ron Birk wrote:The problem with this method is that now you both paid full price. Cancellation gives you no refund.
Cancellations are allowed/refunded, just not a couple days before:

"No cancellation charge and 100% of deposit refunded if notice is received more than 30 days in advance of arrival date. 50% of deposit refunded if cancellation notice is received between 7 and 30 days of arrival date. No deposit refunded if cancellation notice is received within 7 days of arrival date. Becoming a member after making your reservation will not result in refunds for the member vs non-member rates for nights already booked."

That is one of my biggest gripes with any "climbers" campground operating on a 7 day cancellation policy in the northeast - the weather varies too much to make any financial decisions based on it 7 days in advance. Out West it's less of a problem, if it rains at all in a 7 day stretch it might be for a day or a few hours at most.

I was only suggesting reaching out to the campground to see what their policy is about people whose name isn't on the reservation staying. Most places require the person who made the reservation to 'check-in' (?).
Mark Berenblum · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 15

I'll be headed up this weekend and am looking for 2 campgrounds for Saturday night. In the event that we can't transfer the reservation into my name and you cannot get a refund for canceling, I'm certainly willing to reimbuse you for what you paid, and pay the AAC again when I rebook. Please let me know if you intend to cancel. I don't want to snipe someone else's site though, so if BrassMonkey or someone else has a request that came in before this one, consider this offer void. Thanks!

t.farrell · · New York, NY · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I'm sure everyone's already aware, but I think it's worth mentioning that there are probably 10 state-owned areas within 15-30 miles that are free. The idea of having to reserve (and pay for) a campsite is mind numbingly stupid to me.

Not trying to discredit your proposal either. Convenience certainly is nice. If only there were a way to get rid of those who make "land managing" necessary.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply