hauling

Original Post
Jake wander · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 5

at what haul weight do you decide it is worth adding the extra gear and complexity to go from hauling on a traxion to a 2:1? i assume the geography of the route is also used in the decision, so lets assume its fairly decent hauling. i am in the process of dialing in my hauling system and would love the advice. thanks

David Coley · · UK · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 0
Jake wander wrote:at what haul weight do you decide it is worth adding the extra gear and complexity to go from hauling on a traxion to a 2:1? i assume the geography of the route is also used in the decision, so lets assume its fairly decent hauling. i am in the process of dialing in my hauling system and would love the advice. thanks
not sure there is an answer to this, as it depends on part of whether you are in fast and suffer mode or lets go vertical camping mode.

I would suggest you simply get good at 1:1 trax and grigri, one person space haul, 3:1 for that very, very occasional too exhausted to do anything else or monster load and two person space haul. And only then the 2:1. This is because a 2:1 needs a dedicated rig. You might fall in love with the 2:1, but by getting the others dialled, this love will be based on knowledge of the alternatives.
Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 0

When the bags weigh get anywhere near my weight.

I'm an old guy and don't want to get beat up any more than I have to. I 2:1 haul almost always.

My 2:1 haul kit weighs less than 2 pounds. There was a party in the Salathe recently that didn't want to take their 2:1 kit because it was "so heavy". The took another rope and hauled twice... (?)

Pretty much, you'll never haul 3:1. If you're a 3 man team you might until you can get the space haul set up but it is soul crushingly slow. (2:1 is far faster to change over to space hauling, btw)

If you are hauling 2:1 using my system, you already have 1:1 built in so changing to space hauling is instantaneous.

Dave's comment is good. Learn the alternatives and pull them out of your bag of tricks as needed.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0
Mark Hudon wrote:When the bags weigh get anywhere near my weight. I'm an old guy and don't want to get beat up any more than I have to. I 2:1 haul almost always. My 2:1 haul kit weighs less than 2 pounds. There was a party in the Salathe recently that didn't want to take their 2:1 kit because it was "so heavy". The took another rope and hauled twice... (?) Pretty much, you'll never haul 3:1. If you're a 3 man team you might until you can get the space haul set up but it is soul crushingly slow. (2:1 is far fast to change over to space hauling, btw) If you are hauling 2:1 using my system, you already have 1:1 built in so changing to space hauling is instantaneous. Dave's comment is good. Learn the alternatives and pull them out of your bag of tricks as needed. .
Agreed. I used Mark's 2:1 setup recently on the lower pitches of the Nose then switched to 1:1 pro-trax hauling up higher when the weight was less and the rock was steep.
Mark Hudon · · Lives on the road · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 0

The Pro Trax btw, is far too heavy for all but Rescue work, imho. A 2.625" sheave CMI pulley for $29.95 and the ascender you are already carrying will do exactly the same job, weigh far less and save you a load of money.

What I'm describing is the classic Yosemite hauling technique. I have a photo on my computer but I'm on my iPad right now. I'll post it later.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply