Mountain Project Logo

Packing for climbing

Original Post
KaydenBen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

"Hi all,
I'm going climbing for the first time. I've mostly made up my mind but I'm still confused at to what tent I should get, what backpack and what mattress.
Any advice?
I was thinking the Blue Ridge , the Egoo Backpack and the Thermarest NeoAir .
Does that sound good enough?

TimothyCoca · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

The Thermarest NeoAir is fine. The tent you have posted is 18 pounds, though. If you're camping a few feet from your car, that's fine. But if there's any hiking involved, the 18 pounds will not bode well especially considering that backpack. Ditch the "handmade canvas" for an actual backpacking backpack that can hold 60 liters or so. Bottom line, try to find a tent below 3 pounds and a serious backpack that can carry more than 20 pounds without falling apart and/or fucking up your spine.

Eplumer400 · · Cleveland, OH · Joined May 2016 · Points: 115
TimothyCoca wrote:The Thermarest NeoAir is fine. The tent you have posted is 18 pounds, though. If you're camping a few feet from your car, that's fine. But if there's any hiking involved, the 18 pounds will not bode well especially considering that backpack. Ditch the "handmade canvas" for an actual backpacking backpack that can hold 60 liters or so. Bottom line, try to find a tent below 3 pounds and a serious backpack that can carry more than 20 pounds without falling apart and/or fucking up your spine.
I just figured OP was trolling.

Serious answer: Unless you actually have 7 people, ditch the gigantic tent. Not necessary, even for car camping. Get a real backpack, and not just a trendy hipster knapsack. Kelty, Gregory, North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Black Diamond, and Patagonia all make good packs. And that NeoAir looks cool, but for that price you can hire a prostitute to sleep on. Get a basic Therm-a-Rest pad, they're not as bulky and just as comfortable, for a quarter of the price.
Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175

climbing friend,

with thermarest neoair, you would be slumbering like exhausted lumberjack after long day chopping, peaceful with head on soft floating cloud, spine massaged by 10,000 tiny hands caressing.

Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 755
("College")Fraternity Rock
KaydenBen wrote:"Hi all, I'm going climbing for the first time. I've mostly made up my mind but I'm still confused at to what tent I should get, what backpack and what mattress. Any advice? I was thinking the Blue Ridge , the Egoo Backpack and the Thermarest NeoAir . Does that sound good enough?
I see that you have plans to climb above a river.
Snake Hill Map Might I suggest that you also need a boat.
T
Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 650

The troll is being fed well...

Boots Ylectric · · Chicago IL · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 165
Eplumer400 wrote: but for that price you can hire a prostitute to sleep on.
The bonus there is you can probably have the prostitute carry a couple of those 1 lbs tent poles.
Stormannorman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 10

I thought you said you were going climbing?

Climbers don't lug all that junk around. They get a super light sleeping bag and a tiny bivy bag and then they take sleeping pills to get to sleep in the cold night. (true story)

Sound like to me you might be wanting to go back packing and do a little alpine craging. In that case I can not help you sorry.

Klimser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0
KaydenBen wrote:"Hi all, I'm going climbing for the first time. I've mostly made up my mind but I'm still confused at to what tent I should get, what backpack and what mattress. Any advice? I was thinking the Blue Ridge , the Egoo Backpack and the Thermarest NeoAir . Does that sound good enough?
That backpack is not even a tourist back pack. If I were you, I would really think it all over again. I would choose something like this.

As for the mattress… Good thinking, hopefully, you can afford that baby. And carry it. Mostly "carry".

You know what I would do? I'd get something cheaper and better suited for hiking and climbing. An air mattress. Sure, they can be damaged, they can be cold, but they also can be warm. A thermarest is a little bit too extreme for my liking...

The tent... Well, can't say anything about that, never used this one, but it looks decent. Although I'm a newb so don't consider it a valid tip.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply