Seneca December-January

Original Post
Nolan Huther · · Clarkson University · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 582

Hey all, I was hoping to make a run at Seneca this winter, conditions dependent of course. Just to knock some of the easier classics and then a handful of moderates if the weather is good. I've only seen a few token pictures from the winter but from the looks of it, it doesn't seem to hold ice or snow too much. Any comments?

Mikey Anderson · · Hershey, PA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 15

I cannot comment. Other than to express interest in following some routes december-january; as it looks like my trip this weekend is about to get bombed out via weather. Good luck either way.

Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 50

Like anywhere it's totally weather dependent. No snow for a while and a blue sky day can be awesome - it can also be full on alpine conditions there. It's in an area that gets snow regularly - keep checking the weather and Good Luck. I've climbed there in both conditions and in every month of the year. Pick a route with good gear and go for it!

McHull · · Fairfield, PA · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 250

There's usually a few freak unexpected days with temps in the 40-60s during Dec/Jan. Keep checking the weekly extended forecast and be ready to take advantage.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply