Mountain Project Logo

Any info on Smith Rock death Sept 20, 2016?

Original Post
cliffmama · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 317

When we visited Smith Rock on 9/20/2016, they wouldn't let anyone down to the bridge because of a rescue & helicopter landing there. The victim didn't survive. I haven't seen anything in the papers or forums about what happened. Anyone know? Thanks.

Eric Engberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 0

Basic Google search (5 decond effort)

ktvz.com/news/michigan-stat…

Jon Rhoderick · · Redmond, OR · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 966

No, sadly that was another story earlier in the year.

cliffmama · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2009 · Points: 317
Eric Engberg wrote:Basic Google search (5 decond effort) ktvz.com/news/michigan-stat…
Trust me, I know how to do a Google search. Originally I thought she was who died, until I noticed the date was back in June. Strange that there isn't any obvious coverage of the incident in the press. Someone in the parking lot believed it wasn't a climbing accident but a stroke or heart attack, but that's all they knew.

The helicopter left without the victim, as we saw them load the body (it was covered up) into an EMT vehicle later. So they expired while still in the park.
Jess Moran · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

I was here for this too! I'd heard from another climber that he'd had a heart attack while climbing right across from the first bridge, but I don't have any confirmation. 

Tim Page · · Bend, OR · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 10

A friend of mine is on search and rescue and was on site. He gave cpr to a woman on misery ridge until emt's arrived. She had a heart attack and did not survive.

Jess Moran · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10
TP2934 wrote:

A friend of mine is on search and rescue and was on site. He gave cpr to a woman on misery ridge until emt's arrived. She had a heart attack and did not survive.

Mystery solved. Thank you. Thoughts and prayers with her loved ones.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Any info on Smith Rock death Sept 20, 2016?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started