Mountain Project Logo

Moving to Tucson-- Climbing Partner Inquiry

Original Post
Pearl · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Howdy!

I am moving to West Tucson mid October to the beginning of January to beekeep out of Marana. Looking for a sport climbing partner.

I wish I could make myself more appealing but I'll lay it all out right here:

I'm fairly new to climbing; not an experienced anchor-setter and still figuring out technique.
I'd say I currently top out at 5.9.
Minimal gear-- I only have 5 draws, a double-length sling, 1 locking carabiner, and an ATC.
No vehicle.

That being said, I'm a competent climber and a positive and adventurous person. I can give a lead belay. Can barter or pay cash in exchange for a ride.

If this sounds intriguing to you, email me at pearl.hoogs@greenmtn.edu to get to know me better and if we're a match, let's hit the crag!

P.S.
I would also appreciate any local beta for climbing shops (I'll need a guidebook), free camping, live music, and whatnot.

Steven Groetken · · Durango, CO · Joined Sep 2012 · Points: 390

Join this group. It's not as active as it once was, but when the weather is nice, there will usually be a solid group of people ready to go up Lemmon on the weekends. Great mix of beginner, intermediate and advanced climbers in the group.

meetup.com/rockclimbing-151/

The guidebook is Squeezing the Lemmon III authored by local hardman Eric Fazio-Rhicard. You can get it as well as other climbing gear and tons of beta from Summit Hut. Also, you can climb indoors at Rocks and Ropes and most likely find others to climb with. They should have a partner connect book at the front desk as well.

Mt Lemmon is in the Coronado National Forest, so if you go down Mt. Bigelow or Incinerator ridge roads, you can pull off and camp for free. Will be difficult without a vehicle though. There are sections along the Catalina Highway that are privately owned, so just be aware of where you are. Live music will be in the downtown/4th Ave area. Hotel Congress, the Rialto, various bars along 4th will be your music spots. Check out Second Saturdays downtown (the second saturday of every month) where there is free music and events. Dia de los Muertos (all souls procession) is an absolutely amazing event that takes place November 6th this year. Do not miss it!

Hope this helps.

Pearl · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

Thanks much Steve!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Arizona & New Mexico
Post a Reply to "Moving to Tucson-- Climbing Partner Inquiry"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started