Trail building for Black Mountain amd erosion problems

Original Post
Jan Tarculas · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 808

So I've only been to black a handful of times and tramway. I know its pretty wild out on those areas. I was just wondering because of the guide book and recent thread about increase amounts of climbers and trash accumulating up there, has there been talks about trail building and erosion concerns?

When I was hiking by myself from the Saddler boulders to NRA, the Visor and surrounding areas, it was very hard to find establish trails to go from one area to the other. I don't really go to many bouldering areas as I mostly trad or sport climb when I go outside, so I don't know if trails are usually built around bouldering areas. In long approaches, trad/sport climbers usually stay on establish trails and just hike around the base of the climbs.

I know in Bishop when it started getting popular, people stepped in and made trails so we as climbers wouldn't cause so much erosion and/or kill all the plants around the area. Will this be needed in black mountain? Or is there really no worries about the impacts of climbers hiking everywhere in this giving area.

Merritt King · · Long Beach, Ca · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 25

You would be best to talk to the land manager. It's sometimes difficult to get permits to build trails or implement changes. The wilderness manager might not have enough resources to build, the area might have specific laws due to nesting, animals, plants etc.

There definitely a concern about how climbing / hiking is impacting the wilderness especially with its current growth. Best thing to do is be a positive good steward and get involved.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply