Mountain Project Logo

Great Arch after rain?

Original Post
Dylan B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 938

How long after rain will it take for the Great Arch at Stone to dry? It's supposed to be constant rain from now until Friday late-morning, so it should be saturated. If we started up the arch Friday at lunch time, would it be safe and climbable?

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,480

Safe and climbable is relative. As far as runoff, depends on how much rain you got, and what the weather is like afterward. I would say that Friday at lunch there's still going to be quite a bit of runoff, especially the second pitch.

Sean M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 25

Depends if its sunny for a few hours at least between stop of rain and when you get on it. The arch is easy enough that even if the crack is a little damp, if the feet outside are dry, still shouldn't be too bad.

However, one thing to consider is which "approach pitch" you'll be doing to get up there. Some of those are QUITE run-out, much less safe (even when dry) than the arch itself, and I wouldn't want to be on some of those if its wet. If it were me, I'd make sure it had half a day at least to dry off.

Best of luck, be safe out there

Sean M · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 25

I agree with above as well, I didn't really think about runoff, and now that I think about it, some of the approach pitches are themselves following "water grooves", and might be soaked.

Brett Kitchen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 10

According to Weather Underground, tomorrow's rain is supposed to be contained to the morning, clear and sunny Saturday. If that helps you

wunderground.com/q/zmw:2867…

Chris Massey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 5

Second pitch will be seeping for quite a while after rain stops. Does not make it un-climbable by any means, but it will make it pretty heads up for sure. Dont think just because it stops raining for a couple hours it will be dry. Surface might be, but definite seepage likely. Good thing is you will probably be able to just yank on a cam or two and french free any wet section if you are not too worried about losing style points.

Russ Keane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 145

LET'S TALK ABOUT ENTRANCE CRACK!!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply