Mountain Project Logo

whats your favorite grade in sport climbs

Original Post
Yeitti · · Colorado or sometimes LA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 30

everyone has that sweet grade they just love to climb. The grade that has the best most inspirational line and climbing thats still attainable for you to climb many in not too many goes. Whats yours?

me, prob 5.12b/c range

Joel Allen · · La Crosse, WI · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 265

10+ but I'm weak! :)

BBQ · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 554

5.12c

I like routes that seem impossible at first. Upper five twelves are awesome if they still have good holds and a few thinker rests. The kind of climbs that make you memorize a million moves and leave you breathless at the end.

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974
Yeitti wrote:everyone has that sweet grade they just love to climb. The grade that has the best most inspirational line and climbing thats still attainable for you to climb many in not too many goes. Whats yours? me, prob 5.12b/c range
Elena, I won't believe you climb 12c until I see it myself.
eli poss · · Durango, CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 525

5.9+

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

Furthermore, you should stop posting fake route descriptions.
Maybe it's time you got banned again?

Kemper Brightman · · The Old Pueblo, AZ · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 2,971

I've always said I'd be happy if I could climb 5.9 my whole life. For me, it's the perfect level where it flows effortlessly, but is still mentally engaging.

I love projecting and trying hard, but there's something special about linking movements together seamlessly for hundreds of feet on end.

Justin Barrett · · Russellville, AR · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 88

The long (70+ft) 5.9-5.10 routes. It's more about the view from the top than the moves of the route itself.

Then again I've never tried for a 5.12. Maybe one of those climbs has a kick ass view

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

I love 10a

You cam always find a classic 10 a that is fun

Nate D · · Tacoma, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 950

I like R and X routes the best.

Just kidding maybe. I like to follow 10a/b; but if I'm leading, 5.7 is currently where I feel challenged but not intimidated.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Mark E Dixon wrote: Elena, I won't believe you climb 12c until I see it myself.
That makes two of us. She's never climbed 12's in her life. (And neither have I)
Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, CA · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 194

The hardest route I can flash at a given area. There is so much variability between the areas where I climb that there is no one rating.

Blakevan · · Texas · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 56

I've decided to look at Stars not Grades. Why climb a 1.4 star 5.10 when there is a 4 start 5.9 right next to it?

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86
Blakevan wrote:I've decided to look at Stars not Grades. Why climb a 1.4 star 5.10 when there is a 4 start 5.9 right next to it?
Plenty of reasons. Tapped an area out, sense of adventure, see if you disagree with everyone else. There are tons of routes that have have ratings that I didn't think were that great. I would generally agree with you though.

Personally I like a lot of routes in the 10+ range. Always fun with just enough challenge.
Andre H. · · Boulder · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 5
John Wilder wrote:5.12a is the most delicious grade of rock climbing for me.
You know, this reminds me of the story a friend of mine on YOSAR told me about a new member really eager to prove themselves a few years back.

The beginning of the season meeting takes place, and they go around in a circle naming off their favorite routes. Mostly easy things that are super fun like Cathedral Peak or Tenaya Peak or Nutcracker.

This particular new YOSAR member sat there and was "conflicted" as to whether Astroman, the Rostrum, or the Nose In A Day were their particular favorite.

Point being, spraying does not belie humility.
n00b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Someone once told me sport climbing starts at 12a

Therefore, I have never sport climbed.

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
Andre H. wrote: You know, this reminds me of the story a friend of mine on YOSAR told me about a new member really eager to prove themselves a few years back. The beginning of the season meeting takes place, and they go around in a circle naming off their favorite routes. Mostly easy things that are super fun like Cathedral Peak or Tenaya Peak or Nutcracker. This particular new YOSAR member sat there and was "conflicted" as to whether Astroman, the Rostrum, or the Nose In A Day were their particular favorite. Point being, spraying does not belie humility.
Haha, gotta love those kind of D-bags.
Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 266

F9

ChossKing King · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

don't feed the troll.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 252

You know, while this thread is obviously designed for people to spray how hard they can climb (and people have clearly taken the bait), I actually agree with the 5.9+/10a range being a ton of fun. I'm all for pulling hard and enjoy working more challenging routes, but sometimes it's nice to just flow up something with positive holds and
good clips. Pogue Ethics in the Red is a great example...such a breezy climb, but so much fun.

Yeitti · · Colorado or sometimes LA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 30

Bump! All spray is forgiven here. What is the most fun Sport grade to you?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "whats your favorite grade in sport climbs"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started