Versatile 3+ season tents

Original Post
alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

I have had the same tent for 12+ years, a Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 2. It's showing it's age after an hundreds of nights of use. This tent has 2 inner panels (skylight?) that can be unzipped for warm weather mesh ventilation or zipped for added warmth in cold weather. It makes is extremely versatile and have been very happy with it even in blistering cold winter trips.

Any modern tents have a similar feature?

This Youtube video demonstrates the feature best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-SC9tMuulY

BrianVarick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

Sierra Designs is doing some similar things. They have gone away with they vestibule and now have an awning which protects the door. I am thinking about selling my Flycreek to try it out.

Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 8

That is a pretty sweet design. What ever happened to this idea? Three poles in a sturdy 6 point ground contact, all season use. It is definitely no UL like the BA Fly Creek, my fav 3 season tent. Still, that zip out mesh liner wall would be great for getting moisture and frost to dissipate after waking up while still covered by the fly.

jaredj · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

The rei arete 2 asl is the same spirit as the old Hammerhead, and a little more wind-worthy (though with only one vestibule). I've been pleased with mine at exposed high camps in the Pacific Northwest. The gear geeks at Outdoorgearlab also praise it in their tent review.

It doesn't have the zip out panel though, merely some vents up top.

RandyLee · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined May 2016 · Points: 5

Tarptent Scarp. I've had mine out as just the lightweight rain fly part, or with the solid inner and cross braces in 80 mile an hour wind. For a 3+ season tent, and as light yet solid as if is, it would be really hard to beat.

Nat D · · Seattle, WA · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 425

Cuben fiber Flat tarp with bug insert, I have Mountain laurel Designs but there are a number of good manufacturers.

If the weather is nice, you pitch it just to block wind but not the view; if the weather is bad, pitch it for full protection. Works in 4 seasons and all sorts of weather as long as you have a good way to anchor out the tarp, uses trekking poles, trad gear on rock, your skis/ice axe/crampons in snow, whatever your imagination can come up with. Total package weighs about 13oz if I can dual-use my other equipment for anchors.

alpinejason · · Minneapolis · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

I looked into Sierra Designs new lineup. They're intriguing. I might try one.

The REI Arete tents look interesting. Thanks for pointing this out. REI is known for their 1/2 and 1/4 dome line up but hadn't seen this one. Wonder how the ventilation is in hot summer months? The beauty of the Hammerhead tent was in the summer it's 50% mesh.

Only interested in free standing tents with headroom and comfort. That rules out Tarptent, Mountain Laurel, and similar.

Thanks for the conversation.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply