Building a campus board, two sheets of plywood?

Original Post
Eric K · · Washington · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 0

Metolius recommends two sheets of 3/4" plywood when building a campus board. Has anyone had a problem with using a single sheet? What about 1 sheet of 3/4" and a sheet of 1/2" or a base of OSB and a sheet of 3/4" over the top?

Eric

Troy S · · Somerville, MA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25

Hi Erik,

I haven't tried building one but my experience as a carpenter suggests that the double width is most likely required to provide a thickness that will allow for proper fastening of the rungs. 1/2" OSB won't grab the screws as well so I would still with their recommendations for the double layer of 3/4" plywood.

Chris Rice · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

Mine is only a single sheet of 3/4". Been up a while now with no issues with some 200# guys on it pretty regularly. I did use a better grade of plywood though with all the voids filled. Your mileage may vary of course. Make sure the screws you use are the correct length and size.

Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35

I'll second Chris's comment. I have a single sheet of 3/4" plywood for my board, I'm 200-lbs, and have no issues. Like Chris I bought a higher quality grade so that may be the difference maker. Just make sure that your screws will have threads in the plywood.

Stephen C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0

My campus board has two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood. I didn't want to risk pulling a screw. The cost of an additional sheet of plywood is pretty minimal and worth the increased safety/quality of build in my opinion.

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 60

Re: screw threads in the wood

You could also consider tee nuts, bolts and washers. They provide much sturdier attachment than wood screws.

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,037
Eric K wrote:Metolius recommends two sheets of 3/4" plywood when building a campus board. Has anyone had a problem with using a single sheet? What about 1 sheet of 3/4" and a sheet of 1/2" or a base of OSB and a sheet of 3/4" over the top? Eric
My campus board is a single sheet of 3/4 ply, not even a higher grade or anything and I have had exactly 0 problems with it in the 2 years that I've been using it.
Troy S · · Somerville, MA · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 25
mountainhick wrote:Re: screw threads in the wood You could also consider tee nuts, bolts and washers. They provide much sturdier attachment than wood screws.
THis
Chris treggE · · Madison, WI · Joined May 2007 · Points: 8,590

If you cut the plywood to the width of the rungs and build a 2x4 frame, the outside screw should go into the 2x4 frame on either side. See below.

campus board front

campus board back

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply