Mountain Project Logo

Anyone use Rakkup?

Original Post
20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,348

I would like to publish a book but I'm a bit dwarfed by having to buy expensive software, map licenses and print for my book. It's only going to cover 200 routes so I am looking for an easy way to make it happen. Accordingly, I was looking at using Rakkup to write it. Anyone have any experience working with them? Alternatives?

Jayson Nissen · · Corvallis, OR · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 273

If you are any good at the most basic of programming you could publish it with Latex. I made a little guide book for the Garden Cliff in Oregon using Latex. Once you know how to do it it isn't too bad and it is damn easy to update.

Here is a link to the guidebook. dropbox.com/sh/0cnzxuuqe15r…

Tzilla Rapdrilla · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 840

Rakkup has an extremely easy to use interface for authors and once you get your document produced you only then need to do any desired updates and collect $$. For a 200 route area Rakkup is an ideal platform since it wouldn't be worth doing a print guide, but you'll still get some compensation for efforts.

Phil Sakievich · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 105

+1 for LaTex. I've never written a guide book, but I write all my research papers with it, I will be writing my thesis with it, and I know several other books that have been written with it. It's free, super easy to update photos and text, and extremely easy to change formatting on a whim. Also there is tons of online documentation. I highly recommend it.

Dan Cooksey · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

From.a consumer perspective I dislike rakkup. Already written books do not translate well. I dabbled because there were some out of print books on there but navigation sucks and relying on technolgy is annoying.

I know guys in colorado that put out little pamphlet books super cheap. Its just nice to have a physical copy of something

Good luck.

A. Bandos · · Broomfield · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 190
Dan Cooksey wrote:From.a consumer perspective I dislike rakkup. Already written books do not translate well. I dabbled because there were some out of print books on there but navigation sucks and relying on technolgy is annoying. I know guys in colorado that put out little pamphlet books super cheap. Its just nice to have a physical copy of something Good luck.
I would agree. I downloaded the rakkup guide for devil's head (nice work Todd btw). I just prefer a regular book I can easily reference anytime. I've actually rented the app twice. Wish I could just buy a book and use whenever.
Derrick · · Bozeman · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 0

I love rakkup, I can't think of a better platform for sport climbing/cragging applications. I use both of Mike Snyder's Rakkup guides (Cody and ten sleep) regularly. They work at least as well as any paper book i've used. The rakkup platform might not work as well when routes are more spread out or approaches are more labyrinthine. I don't really use the GPS feature and the app really doesn't work well as something to check out for entertainment value (not many glamour shots, hard to browse absentmindedly). But if i want to go to a sport climbing area, know what crag I'm at and know what routes I want to get on at a glance. I think it is a great system. I could go on about a hundred little changes which make it more or less effective than traditional guidebooks but TL;DR Rakkup is a perfectly viable alternative to traditional guides, and is preferable in some circumstances to me.

PS Mike would be worth talking with to get a developer/writer viewpoint, you can probably find him on Facebook through the Cody Climbing page

Micah Klesick · · Vancouver, WA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 3,964

Hey, Sayer, call or text me when you're free this week, and I'll give you info on Rakkup. I've published two guides with them this year since I saw you, and I'm working on two more currently.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,085

i have several rakkup guides. i think they work ok for really straightforward sport climbing areas, but are not nearly as good as a book for more complicated areas. for example, the index rakkup totally blows. there aren't that many routes on there (the old guidebook combined with MP for the new stuff is infinitely superior). trying to distinguish between the million 5-move-variations is pretty tough on a phone screen, etc. the interface on the phone screen kind of blows. etc.... i really wish they would have stuck with the idea of a new printed guidebook.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply