Construction work in Chattanooga?

Original Post
Taylor VanRoekel 1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 0

Hey guys,

I'm pondering a move out of the inflating west, and wondering if there's a reliable construction industry in the Chattanooga area? Any context as to what the work/live environment is like out there would be appreciated.

T

badcarp · · Ooltewah, TN · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

You probably would not have a hard time finding work, skilled or not. There is constant development here. However, founding employment that pays a livable wage with health insurance can be difficult. What is your background?

Ryan7crew · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 65

Not knowing what your background is, but there is always a shortage of equipment operators around here. Skilled labor (plumber, electrical, etc.) especially on the commercial side, is booming as well. And you can almost always find someone to pick you up as a day laborer.

Daniel H. Bryant · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 275

I was born, raised, and educated in Chattanooga, so when I moved away I didn't look back.
Ironically finding work in Chattanooga was more difficult than finding work where I currently live in Colorado Springs (electrical engineering). I always got the 'who you know' vibe from Chatty, whereas out here in Colorado it has been a 'what you know' vibe.

Construction, if the city is still growing from the VW / amazon influx, then there should still be construction opportunities.

Good luck with which ever choice you make.

Taylor VanRoekel 1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 0

My "speciality" is in finish work, but I work for a general now, so i'm doing everything these days (tile, framing, trim, siding, etc.). I kinda like to be able to employ a bunch of different skills.

badcarp · · Ooltewah, TN · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 15

I was born and raised in the outskirts of Chattanooga also, and there is definitely a "who you know" aspect to finding employment. Chattanooga used to be called "Little Chicago" because of how corrupt the local government was. I don't think work would be hard to find for you, though. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply