Mountain Project Logo

Mental Health, especially Bipolar - - anyone else?

Peter T · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 10

I'm not diagnosed with bipolar but work in the mental health field so I know plenty of people that are. From what I've seen there are some people that get by just fine without meds, but there are others who need to stay on medication to avoid a manic episode and all of that it entails. After all this is a medical condition that in some cases takes more than a healthy diet, self-care, and therapy to treat. That said, I support you trying to go medication free! I think its best to do all this under the supervision of a psychiatrist, which is sounds like you're doing. It's great that you have your wife there to support you. Hope your recovery goes well and you don't struggle on warmups much longer!

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290

Yeah, have that team in place, no matter how this is attacked. That was my mistake, and it was stupid.

On meds/off meds/somewhere in between, remember that the brain is a remarkable chemical pharma all by itself. "Discover" magazine had an excellent article about a year ago, on new research into placebo effect. Guess what? Real chemicals being produced, and the results were reproduced. Next step was to try and figure out how to further study and apply this within medical ethics boundaries.

I don't know about now, but way back when I was reading about it, bipolar was not one set thing, but a spectrum. A few went from reasonable (on their "depressed") end, to over the top and flying off roofs. Others, the other way, with life threatening depression, but a manageable manic end. And the meds absolutely sucked, if it was the manic end you were trying to control. It was pretty common for folks to have no success, or quit trying at all. At least that's gotten better, as have people's attitudes. Sorta.

Stick with it, all of you! Helen

Kevo · · South Lake Tahoe · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 0

This community is frickin awesome... This isn't anything crazy informative but I'd like to share a website I reference when I need some alternative info. Earthclinic.com useful and insightful. I enjoyed reading this thread and glade I found it. Stay up homes:)

Medic741 · · Red Hook, New York · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 265

DO NOT STOP YOUR MEDS. IF YOU FEEL GOOD KEEP UP THE REGIMENT. TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR.

I HAVE SEEN TOO MANY BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE DESTROY THEIR LIVES AND CAREERS BECAUSE THEY FELT BETTER, AND STOPPED TAKING MEDICATION. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE IF YOUR MEDICATION IS WORKING STAY WITH IT.

This includes my life mentor, one of the most inspired souls I have ever known, who took his life after stopping his medication.

MENTAL ILLNESS, ESPECIALLY BIPOLAR HAS A PHYSIOLOGY THAT REQUIRES MODERN MEDICINE TO TREAT YOUR PATHOLOGY.

Please, please for the people who love you, keep taking your meds. Meds don't make you weak, and stopping them is often a self-destructive decision.

I don't post much anymore, but this really needs to be said.

-Matt

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290

Thanks, Medic!

Fritz, and all of you, this is exactly what I meant when I wanted you to know people you may never meet will care what happens to you.

Like Medic said, stick to your regimen, and I would add, kick the medical profession's butt until they get it right, and have some patience with the process. Meds have come a long, long ways.

You also may have to accept that your judgement may be impaired, and work out plans in advance for dealing with that, with those who are your innermost circle of life support. Kinda similar for alcoholics, cancer patients, and lots of others. Figure some stuff out in the good stretches, with your team, to be prepared for the bad stretches.

And, please, please, don't ever break anyone's heart. Somebody, somewhere, will always love you. Suicide, intentional or not, raises the likelihood of people you love following suit. It even lowers the bar for people not close to you. Hammer that in, however you need to: suicide, not an option. Not on the table, not ever. Because I know it would kill ___________.

I've never succumbed to anything all that bad, but I did sport black sharpie "slashes" on an arm, for a short stretch, mostly to remind myself of who I was. FULLY. WILDLY. DEFIANTLY. ALIVE, ALIVE, ALIVE!

Best to all, Helen

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Mental Health, especially Bipolar - - anyone else?"
in the General Climbing