Mountain Project Logo

Accident Report, Fall, Staunton State Park

Original Post
Alex A · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 2,526

On 9/24, A group of 3 women where climbing, The Sun also Rises, 5.7pg trad route, on Meadow Dome, the leader was about 170ft up, belayer, lowered the leader, ran out rope about 60ft off the ground, the 2nd climbed up to a ledge 25ft up, both 2nd and leader where on the same ledge, thought leader setup a belay, they pull the rope, the 2nd was starting to climb down, BUT she was climbing down backwards, facing out, not the best way to down climb, she was reaching down to clip piece of gear, with a alpine sling, the leader used it, to lead it, I thought they where using as a directional for belay, for her to down climb, then she fell 20ft, landed on her feet the fell forward, I ran up to help, she was in extreme PAIN, in back and lower leg, she did have helmet on, I was 200ft below them watching this unfold, EMT's called for Flight for Life,

Hope she has full recover,

the alpine sling, I thought she clipped was missing the biner, most have miss clipped it or it came unclipped when she weighted rope, there idea was top rope lower off the single piece of trad gear about 5ft below the ledge, belayed by the 3rd climber on the ground, there was no belay setup on the ledge, she solo down climbed facing out get to that piece gear, scary, knowing, now that I know that, she was NOT on belay, I thought she was on belay by the leader from top, the sling was clipped to a 2" small tree, SCARY,

leader should have setup belay or rap anchor,

Note, you NEED TWO 60m ropes to RAP OFF this route, its clear in the guide book and on MP. they only had one 70m rope,

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

This is the GoFundMe account again.

gofundme.com/2r2xhms

I hope she recovers fully and quickly.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Accident Report, Fall, Staunton State Park "

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started