Mountain Project Logo

Under Armor Cold Gear?

Original Post
El Duderino · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 55

Is there a particular reason these seem to be relegated to high school football teams? They seem like they would be appropriate synthetic cold-season base layers if the fragility and long dry times of merino are a concern. Thoughts?

Christopher Gibson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 90

I use them and the Nike version,they work well for me but im sure there will be other opinions for and against.

RobG814 · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 335

I have had the same Under Armour top and pants for over 10 years that I have used as a snowboarding base layer every season. They have held up great and are nice and toasty, I would definitely recommend.

Brett Kitchen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 10

Solid wicking base layer when doing anything outdoors for me. Just don't put it in the dryer, ruins the elasticity and the wicking qualities.

jdejace · · New England · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 5

I've also had a top/bottom pair for over 10 years. For long backpacking trips or expeditions obviously wool won't stink as bad, but I use the UA way more often for day trips/overnights. And you just throw it in the regular wash with your dirties, no gentle cycle, no Woolite or other BS. I can't say for sure it's the same quality these days but they were definitely one of the best values I've purchased over the years.

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 158

I have never experienced long dry times with merino wool, though I lack the test data as I have no synthetic base layers. Hopefully we can trust the Outdoor Gear Lab:…

An expedition company owner I know swears by the merino wool too. As for durability, it is usually under clothing.

Small holes can be darned using fine thread in a spider-on-acid web pattern. Place the garment in a knitting hoop and darn away, or ask granny to do it for some adventure between the generations time.

Also, the merino baselayer makes a really cool light show in your sleeping bag when you get in and out from the wool vs bag material. Electrifying!

Jorden Kass · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

I have a UA synthetic base layer that is good , but not as warm as my smartwool. I also have a UA soft shell that is quite good and I've worn it on ice a bunch

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 158
Jorden Kass wrote:I have a UA synthetic base layer that is good , but not as warm as my smartwool. I also have a UA soft shell that is quite good and I've worn it on ice a bunch
Jorden, I am terribly sorry for doing this... your comment sounds like Trump composed it. He has a good brain, ya know! The debates just rocked the world with 'Murica's greatness. Please don't hate me for violating rule #1.

On another note, here is a hunting forum thread on this topic that has some back and forth. One linked study does state Merino dries slower.…

Merino is the product of millions of years of evolution (or some detailed design work, depending on where you were schooled;-). I have never worn or purchased capilene since my merino base works so damn well at keeping me warm, wicking moisture, drying quickly, and not stinking. Does anyone have a good link to a quality study with quantifiable numbers? I have often wondered about water retention and heat retention, as well as the insulation per g/m2.

Edit: per Extreme Alpinism by Mark Twight, first layer should evaporate moisture well while balancing heat, and second layer should let that moisture evaporate more easily. Going by memory, just needed a reminder to find the quote and page #.
Healyje · · PDX · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 456

For an upper base layer I used UA cold gear for years until Columbia came out with these quite briefly - they are superior in every way and still available new from one seller on ebay…

Columbia "Solar Polar" Omni Freeze Crew T-Shirt…;hash=item33b9fd03b7:m:m-uxLeeLRul64ui9xPHu_SA

Tobin Story · · Woodinville, WA · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 35

I used Under Armour coldgear as an athlete in high school. I think it's warmer than Patigonia capilene 2, but not quite as warm as a Capilene 3 or 200 wt merino. The issue I always had with the coldgear as a baselayer for extended outdoor activities was that it stayed wet for a long time. I'd guess this is due to the high spandex content in the fabric, but once damp I swear that stuff took hours to dry - maybe that's just poor recollection from too many cold post-game huddles in a sweaty wet shirt.

There are many anecdotal comments above. This guy did some great compiling of info on BPL, and the comments are peppered with additional info and links:…

Also, if you may wear this at work in a high voltage environment in addition to play, the ARC FLASH potential of melting clothing to your skin is a nasty way to go.…

I also choose as environmentally conscious as possible, which is difficult in outdoor pursuits.

I am going to run some trials on my merino base layers vs other base options. Does anyone have any beat up old stinky Capilene they would donate? I would cover shipping. PM me.

Fringepaste · · SoCal · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 450

I have a under armour top for sale if anyone wants to buy it. I believe it's a medium or large. Text me for details. 516 330 7524

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Under Armor Cold Gear?"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion