Mountain Project Logo

Beginner climber looking for experienced partner/advice.

Original Post
Caoimhín Ó Mealláin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Hi I'm Kevin and I'm from Ireland but I live in San Francisco. I am new to climbing, started top roping and bouldering in a gym about four months ago. I can climb 5.11a on top rope and am improving. I want to climb outdoors and have real goals and aspirations. i am really looking for someone who would like to climb regularly outdoors and pardon the pun, show me the ropes. I have never climbed outdoors and have never taken any lessons. Any advice/help is really appreciated. Should I take lessons in lead climbing? Is there any gear I should buy? Etc. please and thanks. If you would like a belay partner and would be willing to teach a little hit me up. Thanks. :)

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Here is the gear you need to climb outdoors as a follower (don't start leading yet):

Harness
Shoes
Belay Device and Large, pear-shaped locking carabiner
Helmet

possibly a rap sling and locker

Don't go buying other gear for anchors and such until you have climbed outdoors for a while with experienced partners.

You could also hire a guide, which is a very good intro to outdoor climbing, but is expensive.

Read some books on climbing, but that is no substitute for experience and training with a mentor.

Take it slow and stay safe.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply