Mountain Project Logo

Trad Climbing Beginner

Original Post
Michael weidel · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 0

Does anyone know any very highly-recommended trad climbing courses (and/or guides) that they know for around the US in general? How about Texas? Thank you.

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20

Just look for some local guide companies. That will be your best bet because they'll take the time to teach you how to place gear and use your systems.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,745

The website for the American Mountain Guides Association (amga.com) lets you search for guides by state and discipline. Use the "Hire a Guide" tab.

BigFeet · · Texas · Joined May 2014 · Points: 380

Where in Texas are you looking to climb, Michael?

Blakevan · · Dallas, TX · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 55

If North Texas check out Texas Mountaineers

texasmountaineers.org/

If central Texas check out Central Texas Mountaineers

ctmrocks.com/

Anywhere else I'm out of ideas. :)

Andy Novak · · Golden, Co · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 355

In the last 4 hours you have made 4 separate posts looking for advice for getting into trad climbing, big wall climbing, ice climbing and mountaineering. I admire your Psyche!

Unless you have unlimited money and time (maybe you do?), I'd focus on just meeting people, getting out and climbing as much as possible. Go to your local gym and meet people. If you're in Texas, go to the triple cracks at Enchanted Rock and just hang out. You'll learn the basics of trad climbing in an afternoon, for free! The organizations listed above are a great resource. Learning to aid and big wall is very different than placing ice screws which is very different than hauling your buddy out of a crevasse. Trying to learn all these different disciplines might leave you a master of none. If I had to choose, I'd take a trad climbing seminar before all others. Learning rope systems, knots, self-rescue etc is the basis for all other forms of climbing..

Or, maybe your're loaded and don't have anything better to do than learn how to climb. In that case, lucky you!

Whatever you do, make sure to stay SAFE, forget about numbers (grades and altitude), and have FUN. Good Luck!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply