Guide Servce (Denali and Rainier)

Original Post
Michael weidel · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 0

Hello everyone,
I'm new to mountaineering but have some specific goals that I'd like to accomplish at some point throughout my education and development - at the top are Denali and Rainier.

Does anyone have recommendations for either joining a team or a recommendation for a guide service for:
(1) Denali
(2) Mt. Rainier
(3) Intro to mountaineering courses (i.e. crevasse rescue, avalanche awareness, techniques, etc.) and companies that provide them.

I appreciate all recommendations and input.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 15

Rainier Mountaineering, Inc offers courses and summit climbs:

https://www.rmiguides.com/

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,115

Check AAI: alpineinstitute.com

They guide Rainier (Kautz) and Adams but do most of their programs on Baker. They also guide on Denali. You can take a course with them and learn the skills on Baker needed to do Rainier on your own. And to be honest the being guided up the DC on Rainier is like herding cattle and the Emmons route is kinda boring.

Edited to include Gavin's info. Thanks.

Gavin W · · Surrey, BC · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 23

AAI guides Ranier via the Kautz route, so it's a little more exciting and a little less crowded.

Ryan R · · East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 10

I used IMG when I did Rainier in 2013. I was super fortunate to have a couple Everest summiters on my team as guides, which was a fantastic experience. They are really knowledgable, and really have great guides. Also, if you do happen to get Jason T, he makes the best chocolate chip pancakes, no joke.
Good luck, it's a fantastic hobby!

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 87
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply