Mountain Project Logo

Will pay top dollar bottle of burbon for red rock guide


Original Post
ditzywonder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

Hey all, my husband and I are going to be camping at red rocks the week of October 10 and would love to hire a local 'guide' to take us around for a day! we are chuffers who are acclimated to 'fun' climbing (think nothing hard) and both have harnesses/shoes, but don't want to pay to fly all of our climbing gear out. We usually climb at the Red River Gorge in Kentucky, which is our 'home crag'. We got a quote of around $500.00 from the AAI, but that is a bit steep for our budget. we were hoping someone could show us around and be a rope gun for a bit less. Let us know what kind of Bourbon you like in advance, and we will bring you a bottle! We would be happy to financially compensate as well, just trying to get it at a price that is less steep than $500.00

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,135

You do realize that Red Rock is managed by the BLM which means any legal guiding must be done by someone holding a permit. So basically you are posting up for some illegal guiding. That is not kosher.

Here is my suggestion by the damn guide book - there are several for Red Rocks some better than others. Look through said guide book. Then post up something to the affect of we are a couple cheap ass climbers coming to RR for a week and after looking at the guide book the following routes look reasonable for a couple chuffers. What do people think?

As for the gear, you are planning be at RR for a week but are too cheap to fly yer gear out. How do you plan to climb the rest of time?? Even a legal guide is not going to lend you gear for the rest of your trip???? Seems rather ditzy to me???

Billcoe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 655

You might also send a quick note or perhaps better call, to Desert Sports as well. They seem pretty connected to the Red Rocks scene. http://www.desertrocksportslv.com/

Good luck!

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Rather than use the word, "guide," just post that you are looking for partners, and that you would like them to do the leading. Be upfront about your abilities and you'll be fine.

Don't embarrass yourself by asking Desert Rock Sports (or anyone) for someone to guide you for a bottle of bourbon!

Edit: Offer to take them out to dinner, pay for their gas, etc., but don't compensate them for climbing. Or hire a legitimate (permitted) guide.

Billcoe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 655

Bottle of booze? They also added: "We would be happy to financially compensate as well, just trying to get it at a price that is less steep than $500.00"

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 653

I'll do it for $450 plus airfare

Addem Bursh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 855

...and so continued the epic tale, of the 2/10 troll thread

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 681
Allen Sanderson wrote:You do realize that Red Rock is managed by the BLM which means any legal guiding must be done by someone holding a permit. So basically you are posting up for some illegal guiding. That is not kosher. Here is my suggestion by the damn guide book - there are several for Red Rocks some better than others. Look through said guide book. Then post up something to the affect of we are a couple cheap ass climbers coming to RR for a week and after looking at the guide book the following routes look reasonable for a couple chuffers. What do people think? As for the gear, you are planning be at RR for a week but are too cheap to fly yer gear out. How do you plan to climb the rest of time?? Even a legal guide is not going to lend you gear for the rest of your trip???? Seems rather ditzy to me???
Macro-aggression!! Jeez get with the times man. Don't you know you can't be honest with women these days.
closed · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
Mike Brady wrote: Macro-aggression!! Jeez get with the times man. Don't you know you can't be honest with women these days.
Can we keep the troll topics within their respective troll threads please.
ditzywonder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0
Allen Sanderson wrote:You do realize that Red Rock is managed by the BLM which means any legal guiding must be done by someone holding a permit. So basically you are posting up for some illegal guiding. That is not kosher. Here is my suggestion by the damn guide book - there are several for Red Rocks some better than others. Look through said guide book. Then post up something to the affect of we are a couple cheap ass climbers coming to RR for a week and after looking at the guide book the following routes look reasonable for a couple chuffers. What do people think? As for the gear, you are planning be at RR for a week but are too cheap to fly yer gear out. How do you plan to climb the rest of time?? Even a legal guide is not going to lend you gear for the rest of your trip???? Seems rather ditzy to me???
@ allen , we are only going to be climbing for about a day in red rocks. we are traveling in and around the area for a friends wedding. Thank you for your kind educational words on the permit system. I am not familiar with the system, which is why i was seeking assistance from a more local crowd, and would hope to find someone in the area who would be hospitable, as most climbers are. We have opened our homes to unofficial 'guiding' perhaps I used the wrong term. We don't know the area. so we are basically at the mercy of whoever is in the area, and locals are usually the best resource on finding a decent crag that is not overcrowded.
ditzywonder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0
Billcoe wrote:You might also send a quick note or perhaps better call, to Desert Sports as well. They seem pretty connected to the Red Rocks scene. http://www.desertrocksportslv.com/ Good luck!
Thanks Bill!
Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,180

Pirate guide?

Allen Sanderson · · Oootah · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 1,135
ditzywonder wrote: @ allen , we are only going to be climbing for about a day in red rocks. we are traveling in and around the area for a friends wedding. Thank you for your kind educational words on the permit system. I am not familiar with the system, which is why i was seeking assistance from a more local crowd, and would hope to find someone in the area who would be hospitable, as most climbers are. We have opened our homes to unofficial 'guiding' perhaps I used the wrong term. We don't know the area. so we are basically at the mercy of whoever is in the area, and locals are usually the best resource on finding a decent crag that is not overcrowded.
Ah missing information !!!

You need to post up something to the affect of: We are coming out to LossWagas for a wedding and have a free day to climb. As we have only a day we would really like to meet up with some other climbers so not to bring all of our gear just shoes, harness, and helmets. We are a couple chuffeurs and climb 5.X around our home crag of Red River Gorge. We would be happy to treat ya to dinner/booze for your hospitality. Worst case we might hire a guide for the day - any recommendations.

BTW. Depending on where and how hard you climb in RR you may not need much more gear than a single rope and a light rack of gear.
Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 681
Mitchelle Kelly wrote: Can we keep the troll topics within their respective troll threads please.
No Maam err Mrs. err Ms. err dude err err err
Colonel Mustard · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Sep 2005 · Points: 1,180
Allen Sanderson wrote:BTW. Depending on where and how hard you climb in RR you may not need much more gear than a single rope and a light rack of gear.
You might not even need to know how to hand jam, for that matter.
Addem Bursh · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 855
Colonel Mustard wrote: You might not even need to know how to hand jam, for that matter.
The whole place has like 4 jams total. Most of it is face prancing with an occasional flared crack to put pro in.
Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 13,859
Burcheydawwwwwwg wrote: The whole place has like 4 jams total. Most of it is face prancing with an occasional flared crack to put pro in.
Yep, nothing you can't lieback or Gaston...
ditzywonder · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

Ditzy wonder is my name and fancy prance face climbing is my game. That being said I don't mind the perfect crack either, but the red I am accustomed to is desperatly short on those.....but I'm still a proficient jammer.....hand......finger.....fist......you get the idea

Billcoe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 655

You have a great attitude and it sounds like it would be a fun day. Wish I was RR local, I'd be happy to sign up. I use to guide @ 30 years ago and still remember some of it:-) They have so many fun routes there. I was down in Toulemne @ 3 weeks back and followed a fella and a guide up one of the long classic multipitches. He lived in Washington DC and he said that everytime he flew out to Ca he'd try to climb in between business. He'd hired a guide and done that route 3 times that way over the years. The guide was flying up the route, 2 pieces in the first pitch. At one of the belay ledges as we were talking he noted: "I only bring my climbing shoes, they have everything else. Where else can you hire a world class athlete for a day?" He then referenced the first woman to climb El Cap solo in a day (Miranda Oakley?)and said: "Imagine if you could hire Tiger Woods to golf with you for a pittance? Like that." Shook his head in amazement and then he was off again.

Have a great trip Ditz!

Walter Galli · · Sint Maarten · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 1,956

Half day guide $ 300.00 all day $ 600.00 f. .. X person fffff u..That Red Rock Sucks...

SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 252
ditzywonder wrote:Ditzy wonder is my name and fancy prance face climbing is my game. That being said I don't mind the perfect crack either, but the red I am accustomed to is desperatly short on those.....but I'm still a proficient jammer.....hand......finger.....fist......you get the idea
?? The Red River Gorge is a great crack climbing area.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply