Response to Those Who Want to Police Women's Climbing Attire


Original Post
wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 84

An open letter to all those who want to police women’s clothing in the climbing gym:

Daniel Evans wrote:Quick fact of life whether you necessarily like it or not – if you choose to wear revealing clothing, expect others to look. If you don’t like the attention, then wear something different.

Tim Lutz wrote:No one wears 2 ounces of fabric on their butt because they need to; it is because they want people to look.

NRobl wrote:Say a fella goes out fishing in a lake. Let's say that fella spends a lot of money on some really tasty bait. This bait is so good it's called lulu lemon bait….With that really tasty bait, should our fella be shocked that he's also reeling in carp?

ViperScale wrote:So unless the doctors are going to get on some meds that they force all guys to take it isn't likely going to change, so that means in an unpolitically correct fashion that if you dress like a slut expect to get looked at like a slut..

Hello. I am here to call you out on your shit. If women give you uncontrollable urges that make you an unsafe person, then please turn yourself into authorities before you commit a crime.

Especially those of you who actually believe this gem to be true:

ViperScale wrote: Honestly maybe they need to come up with a criminal charge that is like half-rape.

You need to police yourself rather than policing women's bodies. Women are sick to death of being told what to wear, where it is safe to walk and, in general, what to do with our bodies to make public space more comfortable and accommodating for you. You do not own the public space, and we have a right to look the way we choose to look without having to expect our personal space or right to safety to be encroached upon.

Isn't it funny that women who are attracted to women somehow manage to treat all women like human beings rather than objects? Apparently, you cannot do the same.

It's not how we dress that's the problem. You are the problem. Thanks for the public service announcement about your inability to control yourself.

Your response to the Flash Foxy / Outside magazine article reinforced the idea that it needed to be written.

Women are part of the climbing community. They are not objects. They do not need to cover up their bodies to make you feel comfortable or for fear that you may not be able to control yourselves. Knock it off and treat us like regular climbers, for christ's sake. What a concept.
Natalie Salazar · · Lake Stevens · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 20

I understand very well where you're coming from. It's not a woman's fault that the most comfortable style of active clothing generally consists of tight-fitting material nor that the clothes we feel most confident in are attractive. While it's expected and rather harmless for people to take notice and appreciate, just because a woman looks attractive doesn't mean that she is trying to be slutty or even suggestive to people around her.

Dan Evans · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 80
Daniel Evans wrote:Quick fact of life whether you necessarily like it or not – if you choose to wear revealing clothing, expect others to look. If you don’t like the attention, then wear something different.
This applies to men and women. The context that I used it in was meant to say have realistic expectations based off what you decide to wear outside the house. It was not meant to say "women deserve what they get because they dress like sluts."

You trying to tell me that revealing clothing does not attract attention, is like you arguing the sky isn't blue.

What would we do without the PC police?
wonderwoman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 84
Daniel Evans wrote: This applies to men and women. The context that I used it in was meant to say have realistic expectations based off what you decide to wear outside the house. It was not meant to say "women deserve what they get because they dress like sluts." You trying to tell me that revealing clothing does not attract attention, is like you arguing the sky isn't blue. What would we do without the PC police?
You are confusing political correctness with a refusal to put up with this kind of horse shit.

Now, please keep your shirt on at all times.
Dan Evans · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 80
wonderwoman wrote: Please keep your shirt on at all times.
I could care less what you wear.

I'm going to continue living my life now. Thanks.
StatJuan · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 10
Daniel Evans wrote: I could care less what you wear. I'm going to continue living my life now. Thanks.
Look at this dude who wrote some long rant about an internet blog and then proceed to respond regularly to comments on it try to play the "I'm living my life and nothing you say can bring me down" card. Totally believable.
Alissa Doherty · · Boston, MA · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 105

Wow, those comments are absolutely ridiculous. I love the climbing community and a big part of the reason is because I find it to be an even playing field where gender/appearances plays no role. It's nice that the sexist jerks took the time to self identify so we can all avoid them though!

Thanks for calling them out on this BS wonderwoman.

Sean Haynes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 101

No one is winning this battle.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Ok...why is this a new thread? I'm a bit confused...

Pnelson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 95
Daniel Evans wrote: I could care less what you wear. I'm going to continue living my life now. Thanks.
"Couldn't."

You're ignorant and have terrible grammar. Delete your account.
SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 5

GE you're an idiot too. In fact we're all idiots in our own way. OP is like the driver who Honks and yells out the window when someone is texting and driving or rolling a stop sign. You guys better be PERFECT humans before you bitch and flame people on a public forum. Not condoning misbehavior but Jesus there are bigger fish to fry than a few guys who say it like many many before them. Why are climbers so sensitive.

ViperScale · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 230
wonderwoman wrote:An open letter to all those who want to police women’s clothing in the climbing gym:
Noone said you couldn't wear anything.

There is an entire science behind how to attract people to look at things. What do you think marketing is? Why do you think they normally put attractive women (or guys) in adds?

2 big things that will draw people's attention
- Something they find pretty (not just women, could be a cute dog, mountain, etc)
- Something that is odd or out of place

Noone said you couldn't wear what you want, just realize people are going to stare at you if you show up at a gym and are attractive with very tight fitting clothes etc.

Honestly you should write a white house petition to make it illegal to stare at someone in public if they don't want you to.
Danger-Russ Gordon · · Orem UT · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 590
Pnelson wrote: "Couldn't." You're ignorant and have terrible grammar. Delete your account.
I don't want to weigh in on this, other than to say, this comment made me laugh :) carry on
Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,610

Climbing in Police Woman's clothing sounds hot! Can you protect thin cracks with the cuffs? Wide with the...oh hot and bothered!

Jeff McLeod · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 45

wonderwoman I just want to say thank you and I hear you and appreciate what you have said here. I am always working on myself with regard to my behaviors and attitudes towards female climbers. as those of us who are mature and self aware enough know, it takes a lot of work to begin to deconstruct the conditioning that we have undergone growing up in a patriarchal society, as well as to challenge sport-specific behaviors and assumptions we may have developed by falling in love with this culture and pastime that is still very much struggling with sexism. Thanks for this post.

fossana · · leeds, ut · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 12,951

As a female I think it's b.s. that women wear booty shorts to the gym solely b/c they're comfortable. I'm not saying this gives anyone license to be an asshole by excessively staring or making unwanted advances. While I think they're fine for running or at a club, I find them to be obnoxious at the climbing gym. I don't want to want to have to see anyone's nearly exposed crotch on a neighboring route, male or female.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
Jeff McLeod wrote:wonderwoman I just want to say thank you and I hear you and appreciate what you have said here. I am always working on myself with regard to my behaviors and attitudes towards female climbers. as those of us who are mature and self aware enough know, it takes a lot of work to begin to deconstruct the conditioning that we have undergone growing up in a patriarchal society, as well as to challenge sport-specific behaviors and assumptions we may have developed by falling in love with this culture and pastime that is still very much struggling with sexism. Thanks for this post.
Are you shitting me?

I feel like if you're "mature and self aware" you can interact with the opposite sex without creeping anybody out.
Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 265

Actually, rear view was as ridiculous as face value. Didn't Cher have one of these?

ethannowak · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 50

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread--I looked at the Flash one the other day and quickly looked away, astonished. I've seen some disturbing homophobic stuff on MP before and was a little surprised, but the response to your post here has literally made my jaw drop. Probably there's a strong internet effect, whereby people feel comfortable saying things they wouldn't say in public, and there's probably also a selection effect, whereby the title of the thread attracts the kind of people who just want to be shocking, but even considering those things, I'm glad you set this off, as it makes it clear to those of us who really wouldn't have believed that anyone could have these views that yes, they are in fact out there, and yes, some of our friends probably have to deal with them.

The internet is not the place I'd normally be inclined to argue with someone, but I thought I'd take a second and lend my voice to the 'it's ok to not be an asshole, and in fact, that's what we should all expect when we go outside' chorus.

Sam Thompson · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 55
wonderwoman wrote:Isn't it funny that women who are attracted to women somehow manage to treat all women like human beings rather than objects?
Uh, ok, I gotta call foul on that one
T Roper · · DC,VA,NM,UT,CT,MA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 860

I police womens clothing on the rock so I guess I'm good

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply