Stone Fort in September

Original Post
Andre Dahlman · · Washington DC · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 115

What are conditions like at Stone Fort right now?

I've got a day to climb in Chatanooga this weekend and I hear Stone Fort is sweet. Is it to early in the year for this?

Also, can I still rent a pad at the clubhouse?

If its too hot, what are best options this time of year? I'm open to sport and trad climbing too.

Thanks!

Jordan Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 40

I read in a guide book that Bob Cormany and other legends climbed that boulder field year round.

Lohan · · Young Harris, GA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 165

It's not bad. You might not have perfect conditions, but you'll have a good day at stone fort. However, if youre looking for good summertime areas that'll stay cool, I'd go check out sunset park for some very shady and breezy trad. Laurel falls is also great, as you can do some awesome sport climbing that generally stays shaded by the trees and then swim if it's hot in the afternoon, as well as do some great bouldering in the honeycomb cave.

C. McGannon · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0

I'll echo the previous statements and say that while conditions are not ideal there are still some very climbable things. Stone fort has plenty of crimps that aren't as affected by temps compared to heinous slopers like those at horse pens.

I'm from Florida and lived in north GA for a summer a couple years back. I couldn't help but be out there every chance I got even in the heat. You'll enjoy it.

Andre Dahlman · · Washington DC · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 115

Thanks for all the replies. Wanted to report back that had a great time even though temps were pretty warm (90 plus). Lots of people out there too.

Looking forward to coming back in late Fall!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply