LOST quick draws on Flight of the Gumby

Original Post
Marni · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

I had to leave 2 quick draws at the top of Flight of the Gumby at the New due to rain. If anyone has/wants to retrieve them I would gladly pay for shipping to get them back. I am from the Triangle area of NC.

Thanks so much.

stoneforest · · Burlington, Vermont · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

Sounds like a gumby move. How dose rain keep you from retrieving your draws? Maybe you should have allowed yourself to get wet. So you didn't lose them...you just left them behind.

Adam Fleming · · Moab, Utah · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 303
stoneforest wrote:Sounds like a gumby move. How dose rain keep you from retrieving your draws? Maybe you should have allowed yourself to get wet. So you didn't lose them...you just left them behind.
I'm with Forest on this one. You didn't plan for the weather or weren't strong/skilled/bold enough to finish the route. Either way, the mountain beat you. Now those draws belong to the mountain.

It may seem like a big deal to leave gear when you're new to climbing, but trust me, it's alright. You leave some booty, you find some booty.
Seth Jones · · New Lenox, IL · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5
Marni wrote: Maybe I just didn't have the gear with me to clean safely.
What gear do you need to clean safely other than the couple quickdraws you left behind and what does that have to do with rain?
Zach M · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 0
Adam Fleming wrote: I'm with Forest on this one. You didn't plan for the weather or weren't strong/skilled/bold enough to finish the route. Either way, the mountain beat you. Now those draws belong to the mountain. It may seem like a big deal to leave gear when you're new to climbing, but trust me, it's alright. You leave some booty, you find some booty.
I'd be careful with this attitude around Boulder; it'll get you in trouble with some locals. At this point, I leave abandoned gear where it is, and will only clean it and post it online if it looks like the scene of an accident.

I've been told that the local ethic on the Western Slope is to always contact the local climber's coalition and ask for permission to remove left gear. It seems excessive to me, but I sure don't want to risk another public flogging over it.
don'tchuffonme · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

Sounds like "Bail of the Gumby".

Eli · · Lives in a truck · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 2,486
Zach M wrote: I'd be careful with this attitude around Boulder; it'll get you in trouble with some locals. At this point, I leave abandoned gear where it is, and will only clean it and post it online if it looks like the scene of an accident. I've been told that the local ethic on the Western Slope is to always contact the local climber's coalition and ask for permission to remove left gear. It seems excessive to me, but I sure don't want to risk another public flogging over it.
Fortunately this thread has nothing to do with the "center of the universe". The NRG owns those draws now.
Zach M · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 0
Eli Buzzell wrote: Fortunately this thread has nothing to do with the "center of the universe". The NRG owns those draws now.
Oh completely! I've spent my time in the NRG. The person I replied to is in Boulder though, and I wanted to warn them that their opinion will get them in trouble out here.
BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 770

Cut the OP some slack. They're simply asking if the person who cleaned their gear will return it. This isn't a question of ethics of fixed gear or leaving project draws - it's just a simple request.

That being said... The route in question is one of the most popular routes in the gorge (not a mountain as one of the more assinine responses suggests), and there is endless traffic from many parties on this climb on any given weekend. I'd doubt that you'll ever see the draws again, but no harm in asking.

And I do agree with some of the points raised by the posters above - you don't need anything more than two quickdraws to clean a route safely, and if you aren't clear on how to do so ou should learn. Still, you did the right thing by bailing if neither you nor your group were aware of how to do this - better to avoid an accident than to risk your life and limb over a few dollars worth of gear.

Tyler Osborne · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0
stoneforest wrote:Sounds like a gumby move. How dose rain keep you from retrieving your draws? Maybe you should have allowed yourself to get wet. So you didn't lose them...you just left them behind.
If you bothered to look at the weather yesterday you would've seen that the NRG was supposed to receive over an inch of rain and scattered thunderstorms. I guess OP made the choice to get down safely and leave two draws instead of exposing him/herself to the risk of getting struck by lightning or messing up retieing their figure eight because of the rain. I'll give up thirty dollars for assurance I can get down safe any day. Maybe next time you shouldn't assume you know all the details when you're sitting in your office chair on Monday. I'd rather climb with a gumby than a dickhead, at least you can teach a person how to climb.
stoneforest · · Burlington, Vermont · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

I understand some people act out of fear and if you chose to do so than don't expect the next guy to clean up for you. One can easy rap from the top of any climb in the new to retrieve gear so there is really no excuse.

BrianWS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 770

Actually, there is a very good excuse - the climb is very popular with new climbers, and I'm sure the OP or thier partners simply havent had the experience needed to safely retrieve their gear. They did the right thing by leaving it and avoiding a potential fuckup in bad weather.

Also, the op never demanded a right to the lost gear, hasn't accused anyone of stealing it, and hasn't acted in any way that warrants the crap given in many of these responses. Get off your high horse and remember that none of us had a full skill and knowledge set when we started.

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 551
Zach M wrote: I wanted to warn them that their opinion will get them in trouble out here.
Like what kinda trouble.....wang slapping?
Seth Jones · · New Lenox, IL · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 5
Mike Brady wrote: Like what kinda trouble.....wag slapping?
Brah, guys from Boulder are all badasses. Haven't u heard?
SRB25 · · Woodside, ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 0

Why are there so many wankers living in Boulder. Move to Ned and grow some balls!

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 551

wang slap

BrianWS wrote:Actually, there is a very good excuse - the climb is very popular with new climbers, and I'm sure the OP or thier partners simply havent had the experience needed to safely retrieve their gear. They did the right thing by leaving it and avoiding a potential fuckup in bad weather. Also, the op never demanded a right to the lost gear, hasn't accused anyone of stealing it, and hasn't acted in any way that warrants the crap given in many of these responses. Get off your high horse and remember that none of us had a full skill and knowledge set when we started.
Only cleaning isn't "full skill and knowledge". It's the bare minimum. And it was absent. I do agree that they did the right thing, but humility is completely absent as well. And that's why this thread is going like it is.
WTylerOsborne wrote: I'd rather climb with a gumby than a dickhead, at least you can teach a person how to climb.
Assuming the dickhead is competent in the bare minimum of skills prerequisite to outdoor climbing, I'll take the dickhead.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply