Yelling at Tahquitz/Suicide

corpse · · jtree area · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 5

this thread needs some TL;DR:s

Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,165
Kat Hessen wrote:

I got my 10 min prussik lesson up a tree at the base of that climb. I only posted to agree with the OP, but also acknowledge that I am part of the problem. I felt I had to raise my voice to communicate with my belayer who was out of sight, and with my friends also on the wall whose anchor I had to be lowered down to for a rap. I've thought about walkie-talkies, as anything MacGyveresque appeals to me enormously, but I guess they're not that commonly used in climbing. 

(As for pulling on gear -- in order to get to the gear, I had to pass the overhanging crux, which is where I would repeatedly take a fall, swing out into the void, have to be lowered all the way down and redo 2/3 of that pitch to get back to the crux. After four times, I was exhausted. Wasn't a scary situation, and we weren't screaming (except for the first time I took that swing -- holy mother of Bob), just raising our voices to arrange an alternative bail.)

I'm really happy Mountain Project exists, to debate and analyze situations that happen in the mountains, and get good advice from seasoned climbers. I'm not insulted if someone calls me out on doing something stupid --heck, the other day I enthusiastically told my partner how good her "offwidth technique" was...we were climbing a chimney. Being a noob is humbling, but I prefer to owe up to it, rather than keep quiet and pretend I don't fuck up. If other beginners are lurking in these forums, it's maybe nice to see that mistakes are made, and lessons are learned -- not just at a gym, but at local crags too. Safety above all, but being a beginner is not a mistake in itself. Knowing that other climbers are bothered by loud teams at Tahquitz is useful info to me, and I'll be conscious of that in the future. I'm still going climbing though.

Kat, from knowing where you were and the repeated falling and lowering, I'm surprised the rope wasn't damaged in the process. Was it?

Kat Hessen · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Tradiban wrote:

Kat, from knowing where you were and the repeated falling and lowering, I'm surprised the rope wasn't damaged in the process. Was it?

Nope, I weigh six pounds and I fall like Buzz Lightyear. With style.

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 310

Kat.....  I have been reading....   Don't you worry one bit about yelling, screaming etc....  It is all part of the game. 

Just keep on having fun in the sun.

Kat Hessen wrote:

Nope, I weigh six pounds and I fall like Buzz Lightyear. With style.

Ahhhh...careful even a 6 pounder can cut a rope.

Rich Welker · · Cardiff, Ca · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 145

I was up there today. Climbed Y crack. It was a beautiful, quiet alpine day.

After logging my tick on the MP app, I stumbled upon this post.  So of course, i thought it would be most fitting to scream "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" on the entire descent down, on repeat.  You're welcome for your serenading!

P.S. If you turn around and yell, it echoes quite well off the Hinterland cliffs and north gully!  Happy Yelling!

Rich Welker wrote:

I was up there today. Climbed Y crack. It was a beautiful, quiet alpine day.

After logging my tick on the MP app, I stumbled upon this post.  So of course, i thought it would be most fitting to scream "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" on the entire descent down, on repeat.  You're welcome for your serenading!

P.S. If you turn around and yell, it echoes quite well off the Hinterland cliffs and north gully!  Happy Yelling!

Rich, you aren't also known as "The Singing Soloist" are you?!??!?!

Rich Welker · · Cardiff, Ca · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 145
Tradiban wrote:

Rich, you aren't also known as "The Singing Soloist" are you?!??!?!

Perhaps! ;)

pkeds · · Redondo Beach, CA · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 30

i make it a point now to yell as much as humanly possible when at tahquitz.

Stefan Figgley · · CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 5

It's interesting how unnecessary verbal communication becomes when you climb regularly with your partners. So many times the verbal commands are simply useless in multipitch or alpine conditions because half the time you cannot hear each other reliably; one gust of wind and the words are inaudible. If even for that reason alone it's good to not depend on them. Just keen paying attention to the action on your rope is more important. All the slack is out and it's getting taken out as I step up to the first move? Yup, I'm on belay. 

The yelling at Tahq can get really obnoxious, mostly because it starts to go beyond simple commands (omg are you really yelling instructions down?!) But telling people to "stfu" is lame and grumpy. 

x15x15 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 165

those wireless speakers are pretty dang good these days.  Light, compact, and booming with sound.  With all the riff raff screaming and yelling all over the rock, this lame and grumpy old man no longer needs ear buds.  Politeness is tossed to the wind...  Just crank the tunes on the speaker, and all human activity outside of MY bubble disappears.  And the squirrels, falcons, and the southern pacific buzzworms can enjoy a little Reverend Horton Heat... 

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

WHAAAAAT? I CANT HEAR YOU GUYS

Now, I am officially banning "wooohoo"s from T&S. Your welps are obnoxious!

corpse · · jtree area · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 5

I think the falcons would rather listen to the eagles, the squirrels wood prefer the squirrel nut zippers, and the buzzworms will take the buzzcocks.

pigsflyinsd · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 430
Tradiban wrote:

Now, I am officially banning "wooohoo"s from T&S. Your welps are obnoxious!

Hahaha, you're too cranky Tradiban.  Let people enjoy their moment in the sun.  Maybe it was this guy flexing from the top of Tahquitz.    

The Access Fund has now declared this the #3 "Gnarliest Local Debates" on MP!!!! 

Only beaten by the Double Cross debate and the Montana "No Info" rule.

Stefan Figgley · · CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 5
Tradiban wrote:

The Access Fund has now declared this the #3 "Gnarliest Local Debates" on MP!!!! 

Only beaten by the Double Cross debate and the Montana "No Info" rule.

I saw that this morning. Very proud we made the chart! Let's keep the momentum... but seriously everybody stop yelling so much. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply