Major ground fall at Pilot Mtn. 9/17

Original Post
Dylan B. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 613

There was a severe ground fall resulting in a med evac at Pilot Mountain yesterday afternoon. I did not see the fall or the aftermath, but one of my climbing partners with medical experience did help stabilize the climber until the EMTs arrived.

The climber was on Veg-o-Matic , a 5.8 trad climb. Witnesses say he fell about 40 feet. The crux of that climb is about 40 feet off the ground, just before you pull up to the ledge. I was also told he pulled 2 pieces of gear, at least one of which was a cam. The protection on this climb is ample and good, suggesting that this accident was caused by some degree of inexperience placing gear.

After the accident the climber was conscious, but going into shock. My friend believed he probably had a fractured pelvis and internal bleeding. He was able to stay focussed at first, but was becoming quite disoriented by the time the EMTs arrived. When they provided fluids, it appeared he was improving. He told my friend that he was a UNC-Wilmington student, and that he had been climbing for about 2 years.

Here is the only media coverage I'm aware of: journalnow.com/news/local/c...

We would like to know anything anyone can tell us about the climber's condition, and his prospects for recovery. If you don't want to publish information publicly, please send me a PM.

Hoping he survived the night and wishing him a speedy and complete recovery. Also, hoping his climbing partners are coping alright after watching the accident. Stay safe out there folks.

Lee St · · Dallas, Ga. · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

Wow. So sad. Praying for him and his family.

Dylan B · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 30

Thanks to those who replied. I understand he is in stable condition and expected to recover well. Best wishes to him, his family and friends, and to his climbing partners as they heal from this trauma.

Adam Paashaus · · Greensboro, North Carolina · Joined May 2007 · Points: 578

Wow. Great to hear. Thanks. Hoping for a speedy recovery. Hes a lucky dude. Stay safe out there folks.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply