Mountain Project Logo

Bishop - Spring vs Fall

Original Post
Adrien G · · Fontainebleau · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 115

Hi everyone,

I'm itching to go back to Bishop after an amazing but too short four-day trip last May, and may do just that next year or the one after that. It would have to be either at the end of March/start of April, or first half of November.

How would you say these two periods compare in terms mainly of crowds (part of the reason I like bouldering is to find solitude)? I believe March/April is Spring break time in the US, so is it more likely to be crowded than November? Climbing conditions (ie temps) don't really matter that much as I'd only go there to have fun and relax from the projecting here in Font.

Also, are the surrounding mountains more likely to be covered with snow in Spring or Fall? Last May they were quite bare but a snowstorm hit the upper reaches and the scenery was just stunning...

(Bonus points for whichever period has better opportunities for wildlife watching, if any)

Thanks in advance!

Adrien

Michael Brady · · Wenatchee, WA · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 1,392

If you want solitude I would not even think about going anywhere near spring break. I always preferred late fall. Just avoid thanksgiving as it is pretty similar to spring break except all the brajs are wearing puffy clothes which is just as annoying if not more so than being around them with their shirts off. Mid-week fall time is primo.

As far as the snow goes, it really depends on the year but by my logic there should be less sow on the mountains in fall compared to spring.

Just realized you are coming from the Font area. Kinda funny you are coming here and I will be going over there. We are going to be spending 4-6 weeks there in February. Hopefully the weather plays well for us.

Adrien G · · Fontainebleau · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 115

If I do go in November it would probably be the first two weeks so I'd avoid the bulk of the Thanksgiving crowds then. Cool.

February in Bleau can be amazing, and you'll be staying long enough to have great conditions guaranteed. Last winter was pretty damp overall but at one point we had like two weeks with barely a drop. However I think we only had two of those magic days when it's really cold and dry and you're cruising everything. Regardless it's my favourite time of year here. Hit me up if you're short on projects. And don't bother too much with Bas Cuvier and Roche aux Sabots, you'll find better (IMO) and less polished climbs elsewhere.

Awesome. Thank you.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Bishop - Spring vs Fall"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started