Mountain Project Logo

Best climbing crags for drones, Drone friendly crags?

Original Post
JPVallone · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2004 · Points: 195

It's getting harder and harder to find quality crags where I can take my drone.

Most the good spots have already banned the use of drones and all the other places I seem to go is full of pissed off anti drone people once I start flying it.

Last spot I went to the locals treated me poorly and in some cases aggressively with threats because I was filming myself with my drone while leading some classics.

One man confronted me because of how angry his dog was behaving. The dog just barked at my drone the whole time while I was climbing. I was trying to have a nice peaceful day while getting some footy for my next segment and the dog just wouldn't shut up. While in a heated discussion with the angry man, he blamed my drone for his dogs behavior. Basically he couldn't control his dog.

Regardless I told him that my drone has every right to be at the cliff just as much as his dog did. He seemed to disagree, but why should my drone be any different then your dog?

If anyone knows of some good rock climbs at Drone friendly crags with good scenery I am open to suggestions.

Dustin Stotser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 371

I smell troll poo...

Dan Mack · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 115

Please cross post this on the Taco and update with the link.

Rich Welker · · Riverside, CA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 145

Because drones are distracting. I wouldn't call the annoying buzz of a drone "peaceful" either.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
TBlom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 360

"I was trying to have a nice peaceful day..."

There is the problem with your drone. They couldn't be more obnoxious!

Dan Mack · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 115
TBlom wrote: They couldn't be more obnoxious!
I disagree; they could have speakers. They probably soon will or already do.
J Q · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 50

Fuck it: angry angry rant. I am old and pissed. I never lived up to my potential. My wife left me. I hate other people. I hate drones. I hate beanies. I hate babies. I hate bouldering. I hate fun and laughing. In short, I hate, and that might extend to your drone too. Especially if yous taking vids of me toproping warmups.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

You and your drone deserve to be ostracized. I think your post is probably not serious, but in case it is, stay at home.

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

As long as it's an IFMGA certified drone, it's OK.

Steve Williams · · The state of confusion · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 235

Just like your dog. Leave them both home.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0

Try Clear Creek Canyon. I hear that people are paying too much attention to truck brakes to notice your drone.
Also Eldorado State Park is drone friendly.

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016
mediocre wrote:Try Clear Creek Canyon. I hear that people are paying too much attention to truck brakes to notice your drone. Also Eldorado State Park is drone friendly.
Actually anywhere in the Front Range is fine.
Anonymous · · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Just don't leave your drone or control at the base and start climbing because I think alot of people would pick it up and trash it.

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56
JPVallone wrote:Best climbing crags for drones, Drone friendly crags?
No.
Its Isaac · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

Definitely trolling but I think it's a better point than some people realize; it's 2016 and drones are not going to go away. Crags are going to be forced to deal with it, some will ban them. But there are other places which will be "drone friendly"; driving some climbers away and drawing others. But I think once the decision is made at a land-manager level, you'll have to put up with them if that's the local decision so...... probably best to voice your opinions to those who make those policies as soon as possible.

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

New Hampshire crags

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

I can't say that I really dislike them, but having a drone hovering near you when you're pushing your limit is really distracting. It sounds like a giant swarm of bees.

I guess, I'd rather not have a drone around, but they're not too bad unless you're up close in someone's business while they're trying hard to send. If that's the case then either ask permission or give them space. Being considerate will always get you in more places than trying to push your rights on people.

Tony Monbetsu · · Minneapolis, MN · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 616

FWIW, I was recently at a crag very near to a loud river. After I got off my climb, I realized a guy had been flying a drone maybe ten meters from where I was. I hadn't heard it at all during the climb. It would have bothered me a lot more if it had been a quiet crag.

john rachel · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2019 · Points: 0

I am not so aware of the drone friendly crags. If you got to know about them do post them here.

Idaho Bob · · McCall, ID · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 757

Iceland is what you’re looking for.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "Best climbing crags for drones, Drone friendly…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started