Guidebook for Lincoln Woods in Providence,RI

Original Post
XX0011 · · Newport, RI · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

I'm going to start making a guide book on the Linoln Woods bouldering area in Rhode Isalnd. I know there is plenty of beta here on MTN project. But there's something about a physical guidebook that is so much more satisfying and possibly more in depth.

Anyway, if anyone knows of one that exists or previous attempts let me know!

ALSO, if anyone wants to contribute that would be awesome, there are quite a few problems there, haha.

Anyway, I'm a graphic designer for a living and it's gonna look pretty damn cool. I was thinking even some pop up pages just for kicks... Maybe. Also a cheap black and white zine edition. Maybe I'll charge extra and call it the UL version, haha jk. But still- it's gonna be fun. I want to get the ball rolling so next spring when the weather gets better we can bang it out.

Also what's your favorite/ least favorite thing about guidebooks? Thanks everyone!

Jason Antin · · Golden, CO · Joined May 2009 · Points: 1,270

Back when I used to boulder at Lincoln Woods, I used my copy of New England Bouldering to find my way around.

Judging by the amazon price, it must be out of print:

https://www.amazon.com/New-England-Bouldering-Tim-Kemple/dp/0972160922/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1473973078&sr=8-2&keywords=new+england+bouldering

XX0011 · · Newport, RI · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0

J-
Haha $188!

Yeah definitely plan on making one cooler than that anyway

J Achey · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 145

XX0011 - Wolverine Publishing is finally going to get this back in print. Tim Kemple has been doing too much globetrotting, not enough local pimping, but he's on task now. Email me directly at wolverinepublishing@gmail.com and maybe you can help! - Jeff Achey

ward smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 295

A couple of problems at the sit-down area that were not included in the Kemple guide are among the best in the woods at the grade IMHO, Dave's Crank (V1) and Suicide Girls (V2-V2+). If you guys think Dave's Crank is V2 then you need to get out of the gym and go to Hueco and do some real V2's!

Ward - would love your input. Kemple, as we all know, can barely lift his own bodyweight, so I'd love to get the lowdown from a real boulderer. PM me at wolverinepublishing@gmail.com. - JA

ward smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2009 · Points: 295

Tim was to strong for his own good. I used to climb there tons, haven't been bouldering there for quite a while ( I live 10 minutes from Farley and was climbing there today) so I am not your best go-to, but happy to help with what I know.

Rocky Cowles · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 0

Not one mention of Joe's guide?!????

Joe M. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 9,580

Yeah, what Rocky said...

XX0011, I wrote the original guide back in 2001 and helped Tim Kemple with his two versions of the New England Bouldering guidebook. I spoke with Tim a while back about helping with the 3rd version but haven't heard from him since.

Joe - I tried to email you directly. Did you receive? Can you contact me at wolverinepublishing@gmail.com? Thanks!

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

I say the best guide is Whitey !!

$188 ? Wow, i gave my copy to a friend who moved to MA..i should ask for some $$$

Just don't let him spot you

Joe M. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 9,580

That dab always was, and always will be, on you...

You're getting a little foggy in your old age coach

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply