Climbing with horses?

Original Post
Klimser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0

Like guideline #2 says, "If in doubt, post to the community forum". And I am in doubt as to where this topic belongs so I am going to post it here.

The title of the topic should be rather descriptive but I'd rather specify. When do horses impede climbing and when do they not? I would think that if we're talking climbing climbing they should prove rather useless. But before that? Are they more trouble than they're worth?

I'm thinking the Alps, Southern Carinthia.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 0

If they are good at standing really still you can use them to skip a bouldery start, and maybe they could be trained to guard your pack from marmots.

Tim Lau · · Hendersonville, NC · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

make sure your anchors are bomber and your belay skills are up to snuff. Those things are heavy.

Tim Lau · · Hendersonville, NC · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

I'm new to climbing so maybe there's something I haven't considered. I've done several horse pack trips into the back country for fishing excursions though.

I'd say horses are a great tool for getting to remote areas with lots of stuff (gear, camping, food, etc.). Whether the end result is fishing, hunting, climbing or whatever the horse is a tool to get there. I don't see how they'd be detrimental to a climbing excursion at all.

Klimser · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0
Tim Lau wrote:make sure your anchors are bomber and your belay skills are up to snuff. Those things are heavy.
Never doubted that one.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply