toddler friendly crags south and east of Bethel, ME?

Original Post
Ming · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 440

Hello, so I am planning a family outing from Winthrop, ME this weekend. I have a 3 year old with me. Is there any crags the one would recommend? After doing a bit of research I am thinking Twitchell Pond, Shagg or Bear Mountain. There is little information on trad/sport routes on Bear Mountain and Twitchell. Could someone help and provide some more info on those two? It'll be several adults to babysit so 2-3 pitch climbs would be fine and hopefully there could be something slabby/juggy to set up something for the little one (she'll climb like 10-15 feet and quit, so it doesn't have to be a real route). Thanks!

roddack · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 70

Probably splitting hairs, but most likely driving time from Winthrop to Camden will be less than the three places you mentioned. Camden is also far more family friendly and has a variety of climbs suitable for children and adults alike with pretty light approaches.

Zach Swanson · · Newton, MA · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 28

I was just at Shagg recently (without my son) - it's a reasonable crag for a kid to hang out at, but the approach hike is going to be painful (for you) and there's nothing there that a short toddler is going to be able to climb. There's only a couple moderates there, nothing below 5.8, and the 5.8s aren't exactly jug hauls (relative to the grade). The approach hike is long (30+ min) and steep and you're not going to enjoy carrying a kid up/down.

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,575

Quite a bit about twitchell in gerry's book,,casual approach.

DGoguen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 0

Tumbledown Dick in Gilead near Bethel.
Right off the road. Super climbing and a few short walls for the kids.
Handrens guide.

Ming · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 440

Thanks guys. I have the Handren book and took a look but don't know if there are any updates on Twitchell Pond. How about Buck's Ledge? Look like it's right off the road and huge.

PWZ · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 0
DGoguen wrote:Tumbledown Dick in Gilead near Bethel. Right off the road. Super climbing and a few short walls for the kids. Handrens guide.
definitely, though a little west of where you were looking. Always seems to be a little more quiet than everywhere else.
Ira O · · Hardwick, VT · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 0

I vote tumbledown.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply