Mountain Project Logo

Futaleufu, Chile

Original Post
simplyput · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

I have an opportunity to spend the rest of the year working at a lodge outside of Futaleufu, Chile.
I'm wondering if anyone has been to this area specifically and would care to share their experience, climbing related or (more likely) otherwise.
Regarding climbing, I'm finding it hard to find any info for this area. I'm sure there is a reason for this and am coming to terms with the fact that this one might be an adventure of the new...

LoganJamison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 0

Do it. Not far from Cochamo aka the Yosemite of South America.
Amazing area. A friend spent a season boating in Futaleufu, it looked incredible.

Frosty Weller · · Colorado · Joined Mar 2004 · Points: 1,115

Man I wouldn't hesitate at all, go for it. I didn't go for climbing but mainly for the whitewater paddling, it's gotta be some of the best in the world. And if you like fly fishing, world class trout abound. It is so incredibly beautiful there, and the locals so amazingly nice, I wish I had such an opportunity. Just go man, no matter what you do down there it's going to be great.

simplyput · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 60

Thanks, it's pretty much a done deal. A buddy put it into perspective for me the other night with a single look. It mostly said, "you're an asshole for even considering not going."
The look was right.
I was just hoping someone was going to tell me about the amazing, empty crags mere steps from the kitchen I'll be running...

Futakeeper · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0
simplyput wrote:I have an opportunity to spend the rest of the year working at a lodge outside of Futaleufu, Chile. I'm wondering if anyone has been to this area specifically and would care to share their experience, climbing related or (more likely) otherwise. Regarding climbing, I'm finding it hard to find any info for this area. I'm sure there is a reason for this and am coming to terms with the fact that this one might be an adventure of the new...
We're probably biased because we work to protect this place and all live here year round but... yes! You should do it, both for the experience of living here (regardless of climbing) and the opportunity to help us build up a climbing culture. The town just opened up a new bouldering gym - literally last week - and is in need of instructors to help local kids learn the basics. Futaleufu might be the only town in Patagonia with a ¨casa boulder¨as they call it. There's also a small wall right outside town behind Hostería Las Natalias with some routes they put in last year.

And if you're really adventurous we've been looking for someone who can help design climbing routes. There are plenty of peaks close to town but they've rarely been climbed, basically due to difficulty of access.

At the moment the closest project we have is trying to get North Face on board with setting up an ultra trailrunning course. The rocks are definitely not like Cochamó and we're not the experts who could tell you more, but we'd be happy to put you in touch with the Chilean climbers we know for more info.
Tyson · · Seattle, WA · Joined Aug 2006 · Points: 3

One more vote to do it. I spent 2 weeks in Futaleufu last year as part of an extended SA climbing trip. I didn't do any climbing in the town but there are definitely opportunities for some new routes if you're motivated. The town of Futaleufu was one of the nicest I visited in all of Patagonia.

While Cochamo isn't exactly close (~9-10 hours) it's doable in a long weekend. Frey is a bit closer (~5 hours) and Piedra Parada is only about 3 hours away. Between those three you'll definitely be able to get a climbing fix.

The Futa is a very special and beautiful river. Enjoy!

Sirius · · Oakland, CA · Joined Nov 2003 · Points: 600

Chance of a lifetime. That region of Chile is so magical it hurts.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply