Late Fall Climbing Glove

Original Post
Nolan Huther · · Clarkson University · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 567

I was climbing last year around November and got a pair of Outdoor Research Vert gloves after getting windburn on my hands while belaying on a 40-50° day. They worked great for lightly cool days and as an ice climbing glove to switch out, but they didn't have a really fine touch. I wasn't planning on replacing them but now I lost them. Verts seem to have been phased out and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions before I spring on the same pair. Basically something with a nice leather palm that won't be torn up while rapping and nice dexterity. Preferably something not over the top in price either...

David Gibbs · · Ottawa, ON · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 6

Might be worth looking at good-quality work gloves, rather than a climbing-specific glove? You may find more sizes, better fit options, and at a better price-point.

Nolan Huther · · Clarkson University · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 567
David Gibbs wrote:Might be worth looking at good-quality work gloves, rather than a climbing-specific glove? You may find more sizes, better fit options, and at a better price-point.
I thought about that but I'd prefer something I could also switch out for winter use as well. Might pick up a pair of leather work gloves regardless though...
Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

I've had good luck with leather work gloves. You can get some that are better fitting than others. I have used insulated leather work gloves for years for ice climbing belays. Sometimes I've even climbed in them if it's really cold and I don't want to switch out my gloves. They are't going to have a super fine touch, but they get the job done pretty well and easily last a couple of years of belaying and rappelling.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,865

Get a pair of batting gloves from the mainstream sports store.

keithconn · · LI, NY · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0

Golf gloves might be worth looking into as well. I'm not talking the everyday ones, the cold weather ones. They come in pairs. I know FJ makes some that are nice.

Tobin Story · · Woodinville, WA · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 0

Carhartt makes a pair of well-fitting work gloves that I frequently use for cold fall climbing and belay/rappel duty. The ones I have are similar to these carhartt.com/products/carha...

They're nice because they fit great, have great dexterity and decent durability, plus they're cheap compared to dedicated 'climbing' gloves. I find I like using these better for tasks requiring close fit and dexterity, full-grain leather work gloves are better for taking a beating but don't fit as well.

If you're looking for a bit warmer/more techy glove, I've used the OR Stormtracker gloves to great effect. They make a nice winter climbing glove with a softshell back and a leather palm, though the leather won't hold up to really brutal belay/rappel use.

OrganicChemistry · · Tucson · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 0

checkout the Simms ExStream Flex Glove

love the versatility and comfort.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply