Bolted or trad lines in mills canyon (roy) New Mexico

Original Post
rain cloud · · the abyss (kansas) · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 160

Read somewhere online that there were some going up around the bouldering areas. Would be nice to check it out when I'm out there next month. I haven't bought the guidebook yet so I didn't know if there was any mention of it.

Jason Halladay · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Oct 2005 · Points: 9,851

The only sport routes I've seen are at the Tiger Stripe Wall of the Middle Mesteno area of Roy. We've looked at them but never taken a rope, harness and draws out there. The rock is beautiful and the routes look fun and challenging. Eight to ten quickdraws ought to cover you, I think. The New Mexico Bouldering guidebook shows the location of the Tiger Stripe Wall but doesn't cover the routes in any detail.

I believe the bulk of the routes are in the 5.11 range with a number of 5.12s and a few 5.10s.

rain cloud · · the abyss (kansas) · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 160

Oh man, sounds great, getting super amped already. Hopefully it stays somewhat warm.

Owen Summerscales · · Los Alamos, NM · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,048

There's about 20 routes on Tiger Stripe Wall. They look easier than they climb. There's also some sport routes in Mills Canyon, and some trad routes that are being developed. The rock is incredible, and the winter season makes a nice change for a northern NM sport crag.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply