5 size nut

Original Post
eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 456

So I noticed I was missing my #5 stopper from my set of #1-#13 so I guess I'll to replace it. I was wondering if I should get another #5 stopper or get an equivalent sized nut in another brand. I've heard people say DMM wallnuts are the best nuts but I've also heard the same for WC rocks, Metolius curve nuts, etc. So I figured I'd let you MPers tell me what the best nuts are. If it helps narrow it down, most of my climbing is on southwest colorado (durango) sandstone and san juans quartzite.

I already have DMM off-sets that I carry in addition to my regular nuts so not those.

JK- · · SLC · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 58

DMM Wallnuts are awesome...

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with BD Stoppers. I'd keep the set the same. It will scale better through it's size range.

My $.02

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,740

+1 what JK says. Buy DMMs if/when you need a second set (or partial set) of nuts. Don't double up with the same brand!

JK- · · SLC · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 58
Gunkiemike wrote:Buy DMMs if/when you need a second set (or partial set) of nuts. Don't double up with the same brand!
Agreed.
Kauait · · Sandy Utah · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Get a replacement #5 to complete your set. Then start to get other pieces. Can't go wrong with HB offsets..

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,265
"So I figured I'd let you MPers tell me what the best nuts are"

Unless you're on a climb that needs a specific piece, any of them will work pretty much the same, so there is no reason not to just go ahead and replace what you had (Visually consistent when looking at rack).

To add, if you're on the broke side and don't mind used, I have a bunch of BD #5's and would be happy to give you one for the price of S&H.
Neil Rankin · · Winston-Salem, NC · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 110

WC recently made their Rocks weaker (from 12kN for most sizes to 10kN for most). Still a #2 Rock is rated at 9kN versus the 6kN for a #5 stopper. They're equivalent sizes. The old version of the #2 was rated 12kN, which was the shizz for its size. Good to have sets of both imo.

Nick Drake · · Newcastle, WA · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 478

I've used bd and walnuts. Notch on the dmms makes them nice if you climb crystalline rock, but otherwise there's not any noticeable difference placing them.

Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,265

Eli,

got your email and sent one back.

Just waiting for the info and will send.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply