Pre Hangboard Warmup

Original Post
RobG814 · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 335

I've had a hangboard for a while that has basically just been used for pull-ups and some messing around. I'm now planning to put it to use and start a program based off of the Anderson brothers plan to try and make some improvements in finger strength.

My question is about warming up before a hang session. I don't have a woody at my house to warm up on so what other kind of warm ups will be sufficient? I obviously want to avoid injury and it sounds like a solid warm up is crucial. I'm thinking some cardio and moving around the different holds on the board for a while until I get some pump going. Then maybe some light massage with the Armaid or some stretching. Think this would be sufficient?

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20

I've typically done some jump rope, or jumping jacks to get arms moving and blood flowing. Then I'll do a set or two of easy hangs on big ledges or holds on my hangboard. After that I feel like I have the tendons and joints warmed up enough to start the actual training.

JCM · · Seattle, WA · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 95

Here's a warmup that takes around 15 minutes and requires no extra equipment:

Put your feet on a chair and "climb around" by doing moves with your hands between holds on the board. This can include stopping and shaking out. Do this for 5-10 minutes. No need for precise timing, just go by feel. Start with the chair nearly under the board ("vertical") at first, and then make it feel "overhanging" (thereby increasing intensity) by moving the chair further back away from the board.

Then do some pullups on the jugs. Not a lot, just two sets of 3-5. The point is not to do a extensive pullup workout, but rather just to generate some heat and limber up the big muscles..

Finally, finish with some lower-intensity warm-up hangs. It is nice to have in your warmup a mix of heavy hangs on big holds (to warm up the big muscles), and very light hangs on small holds (to get the fingers ready). I tend to do 3 sets (6 reps each). First I go bodyweight on big holds, then I go bodyweight on a small edge, then I go added weight on the big holds (I add the same amount as I will be hanging on the first set of my first "workout" grip.

Then you are nicely warmed up and ready to start the proper workout. There are a variety of ways to truncate this warmup program to make it take less time, or to expand it to warm up more thoroughly.

Sandbagger Vance · · Cincinnati, Ohio · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

So what you'll need is a painters bucket and about 20 lbs of rice, or sand, rice is easier though. Put the rice in the bucket. Squeeze the rice then curl your fingers then rotate your wrists, one arm at a time in the rice. Each exercise should last about 60 seconds. This warmup should last about 10 minutes. If you don't break a sweat you aren't doing it right. Consult youtube for additional help.

I knew the MP community would have some good ideas!

I already have a rice bucket set up, I never thought about using that for a warm up. I'll do a little bit of everything and see what works best.

Thanks guys!

Long Ranger · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 75

Also look up Scapular Pullups. More of a thing to do before starting hangboarding, as it helps you understand the right position to be in, when you're hanging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtzkz3pOjyE

Thanks LongRanger!

I have had several shoulder injuries in the past so training with good form will be top priority. Im going to start on the scapular pull-ups today, good call!

Steve Pulver · · Williston, ND · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 455

For a power workout, I do 3 sets of dead hangs off the hangboard jugs (3 mins. on, 5 mins. off, -50 lbs.,2 mins. on for the last two sets), and just two sets for a strength workout.

Mostly, I just like having a quantifiable level of exertion during warmup. Because it affects how well I perform during my workout, I want to make sure any variation in performance wasn't due to varying my warm up.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply