Booty on the Iron Messiah

Original Post
David Deville · · Flagstaff, Arizona · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 10

Climbed Iron Messiah on the 4th. On pitch 5 (corner before chimneys) my buddy's gear loop broke and some cams and draws fell into the abyss. I'm not sure if any of those are retrievable or not since we were unable to locate them when we lowered back down the pitch. There is a chance they are retrievable near the bottom of pitch 4 (bring a tentpole or something).

Also, on the ledge just after the 1st scramble pitch there is a ratty old camelback with some pretty nice sunglasses, a new headlamp, some bag bottles, and a small dry sack with a $20 in it. There is also some bail gear too I think. Through a combination of dehydration and stress from getting the ropes stuck I forgot about it until we were gunning for the last bus back to our car.

I won't have a chance to get back out there for a while so it's fair game for anyone who wants some relatively nice booty. Thanks for cleaning up our mess in advance.

-David

Sam Keller · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 0

What kind of harness? Bummer about the gear.

David Deville · · Flagstaff, Arizona · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 10

It was a (heavily used) Petzl Adjama. He had been using it canyoneering and he likes OW and chimneys so it was pretty worn. It's a bummer but I still had a blast on my first trip to Zion. The climbing was great and the positions are pretty incredible.

Gregger Man · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Aug 2004 · Points: 576

Bummer.
I had a gear loop break on that same model harness a while back. Luckily it was on a belay ledge while I was racking up so nothing was lost - I pulled to rotate the harness to straighten it and the loop ripped off.

Ball · · Oakridge, OR · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 45

I had a gear loop break (mainly due to my green partner not listening to my directions and pulling me off the cliff). My cams were sliding down the rock as I frantically tried to grab them. I managed to grab the cams and only drop some slings.

Old mammut harness. I don't think I like the solid plastic gear loops anymore.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply