Finger pain and loss of wrist flexibility

Original Post
DEF · · Boston, MA · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 5

Dealing with a nagging issue and wanted to see if anybody here has had a similar problem, and how they finally solved it...

Back in early July, after a long day of climbing, my right hand was about useless, pain in both my index and middle finger in the first pad (a2 pulley area) if I try to make a tight fist, and I have decreased flexibility in my right wrist, to the point where I can't do a pushup with my palm on the ground without sharp pain in the top left part of my wrist. There was no specific moment during the day with any sort of pop/sudden sharp pain.

I've been resting (minus one moderate climbing day) from any climbing activity, and going to physical therapy to massage/soft tissue work for 6ish weeks now, and seem to be getting nowhere. My PT is about ready to send me for an MRI because he's stumped about what else to do. FWIW - the physical therapist happened to have the Dr. J Dodgy Elbows article saved on his computer, and has treated climbers before.

So.. any help/advice is much appreciated, getting into the best part of the year with trips to colorado and yosemite coming up fast and it looks like I may be resigned to hiking!

Downtownt Kay · · Everett, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 55

hard to say over the internet, obviously.
mostly here to say that you're not alone. right hand swollen since last saturday's 6 pitch outing.
pain in fingers, carpal tunnel symptoms in wrist and flexors tight and painful (can feel nerve symptoms all the way to y armpit. :(

hows your pronation strength in relation to flexors? extensors?
i assume you've had an x-ray to rule out fx/scaphoid etc?

sorry 6 weeks is a long time, keep up the good fight!

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,575

Nerve issues ? you can have them w/o any pain or numbness or with both..some very good lower extremity ( arm below shoulder)Docs at Brigham

Jon Hartmann · · Ojai, CA · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,120

Easy fix. Rice bucket. It fixed mine in a week. Do it. Seriously, anytime my wrists or hands go numb I do a couple of rice bucket rounds in the week and I'll be good until the weekend. I recommend it to my construction work mates also since swinging a hammer for your whole life will do the same thing. youtu.be/dhNDPD4gxpc

Dust Diedricksen · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 610

My wrists were killing me as well - I thought from climbing.. then I found out it was Lyme Disease. Worth a check if you're climbing around New England.

Downtownt Kay · · Everett, WA · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 55
Jon Hartmann wrote:Easy fix. Rice bucket. It fixed mine in a week. Do it. Seriously, anytime my wrists or hands go numb I do a couple of rice bucket rounds in the week and I'll be good until the weekend. I recommend it to my construction work mates also since swinging a hammer for your whole life will do the same thing. youtu.be/dhNDPD4gxpc
I have a rice bucket, should actually use.
Going to chiro today since its totally coming from my neck...
john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,575
Dust Diedricksen wrote:My wrists were killing me as well - I thought from climbing.. then I found out it was Lyme Disease. Worth a check if you're climbing around New England.
For sure,,especially since it mimicks arthritis and then may cause it.

There was a previous thread about ulnar issues in the wrist/elbow as well.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply