Fish Atom Smasher

Original Post
Ryan Scherer · · Dahlonega, Ga · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Looking into picking one of these up to use as a crag pack. Anyone used one for this purpose? What do you love / dislike about the pack. It looks pretty rad to me.

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,415

It's great.

Holds all your crap and is super durable.

That said, it doesn't have a padded back or frame like a normal pack so you have to take a little care loading your gear so a cam lobe isn't digging into your spine.

Also, it's a top loader so get used to rummaging around at the bottom for stuff.

Great for shorter approaches. Wouldn't recommend hiking with it for over half an hour though.

Ryan Scherer · · Dahlonega, Ga · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Thanks man. Do you happen to know the volume of this pack?

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 1,865

From the given dimensions, I'd say it's around 40 liters.

Aaron Nash · · North Bend, WA · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 211

It's awesome; I've had mine for 5 years and have beat the crap out of it. No other crag pack will stand up to the abuse a smasher can take, and the price is right. I have no dislikes; it is a super tough tube of fabric to dump all my shit in.

I recommend getting the "delux" version with the draw cord on the top.

As far as size, I can fit a rope, double rack, shoes, helmet, harness, water, and a bit of food in mine. Everything I need for a day of cragging.

Go for it; you won't be disappointed.

Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 85
Aaron Nash wrote:It's awesome; I've had mine for 5 years and have beat the crap out of it. No other crag pack will stand up to the abuse a smasher can take, and the price is right. I have no dislikes; it is a super tough tube of fabric to dump all my shit in. I recommend getting the "delux" version with the draw cord on the top. As far as size, I can fit a rope, double rack, shoes, helmet, harness, water, and a bit of food in mine. Everything I need for a day of cragging. Go for it; you won't be disappointed.
So true, almost all of (brother) FISH products will out live you. you can count on it surviving your adventures
Also there may be a few upgrades possible if you ask nicely, and offer to pay, to add a pocket just under the top edge. And a flat full length pouch down the back, for an ensolite pad.
It's been 15yrs so ymmv, but if you ask &(maybe) buy Russ a beer*
( *Is the link to do that still there?) ~the Deluxe is the way to Go.
caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,415

Yes, do the deluxe for sure. I had a strap added to mine to cinch down a rope over the top, handy

Crotch Robbins · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2003 · Points: 105

The best crag pack ever. My first one survived 10 years of weekly abuse including a several walls. As the gents above point out, get the deluxe.

Billcoe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 630

A better alternative is the Cilogear Big Hauly. 60liters, muy mucho more comfortable. Has a lid as well. The Fish sac will outlive you unless you are hauling it, the Cilogear would as well, but it's made out of Cordura.

Jon H · · MD/DC · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 13

Another vote for the Atom Smasher. It's my second. Wore out the first one (but I bought it moderately beat up already from a guy who was hauling it).

I took an old foam pad and cut it to fit the inner diameter of the pack, rolled up end to end. Works perfectly for padding the back and keeping the bag stiff so it stands on it's own. I recommend laying a nice thick bead of seamgrip across all the seams on the bottom when you get it - the seams are raised and consequently all the wear on the bottom is concentrated right there.

Jace Mullen · · Oceanside, Ca · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 0

I have one, its awesome. Got it for walls and ended up using it as my go-to crag pack. You'll get used to packing the #5 away from your back. Definitely worth it, and you're supporting an awesome small business while you're at--and getting a damn good deal.

Tapas · · Utah · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 15

Atom Smasher is a great pack. Carries well, especially if you flake your rope into the bottom of the pack.

Cilogear is great, but you will wait a long time to get your pack unless you happen to find one on the shelf. My Cilogear orders have taken from 3-8 months. Love their packs, but you really have to plan ahead to get one.

YMMV

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply