Mountain Project Logo

Grand Valley Climbing in Grand Junction is raising their rates

James Hicks · · Fruita, CO · Joined May 2012 · Points: 131
Tylerpratt wrote: I knew what you were referring to bro! =) Sometimes a good confrontation can get the job done. Even if he goes with a "get out of my gym if you don't like it" he heard what you have to say and he cant forget hearing it. It might change something. The only way something wont change is if no one says anything to him. (I know you said people have but the more people that confront him about it the better).
Agreed, the owner is a nice enough guy judging from my past interactions with him. Just not overly confident it will get anything changed. We shall see!
Eric Carlos · · Soddy Daisy, TN · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 121
Tylerpratt wrote: Sounds like everything is still the way it was since you have been out of the country actually! ;) Have you guys spoke with the owners in person?
I have spoken with everyone there. All it got me was blocked from their facebook page. Probably cause they posted on July 21st that "the entire gym has been reset within the last month" and I called them out. They should have said "in the last 7 months."

As an example, in March I approached Dave about he routes, and he said next month they were going to reset the entire gym for a comp. Yet here it is Sept and there are STILL routes up from the time of that conversation....March.

Eric Carlos wrote: I have spoken with everyone there. All it got me was blocked from their facebook page. Probably cause they posted on July 21st that "the entire gym has been reset within the last month" and I called them out. They should have said "in the last 7 months."
You're such a jerk Eric.
James Hicks wrote: You're such a jerk Eric.
I know. We need to hit Elk Creek again in November when I am back.
Eric Carlos wrote: I know. We need to hit Elk Creek again in November when I am back.
Is that in the gym? Are there new routes there?!

But yes we do. Also, Croatia was rad. You should be filled with jealousy.
James Hicks wrote: Is that in the gym? Are there new routes there?! But yes we do. Also, Croatia was rad. You should be filled with jealousy.
It is an outside area with potential for holds breaking, so yes, the routes change more often than GVC.

I saw pics of Croatia.....Full of Jealousy.
Eric Carlos wrote: It is an outside area with potential for holds breaking, so yes, the routes change more often than GVC. I saw pics of Croatia.....Full of Jealousy.
Ahh yes, I remember that place now. I think last time we went you tried to murder 3 of us while turning a 11c into a 12a.
James Hicks wrote: Ahh yes, I remember that place now. I think last time we went you tried to murder 3 of us while turning a 11c into a 12a.
That's right....gotta change the routes somehow.
Marty Stevens · · Grand Junction · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 1,152

Prices increased again and some membership benefits taken away. Same old song and dance 4 years later from what I'm reading.

Jim T · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2012 · Points: 469

Are they in the RTD death spiral?  RTD ridership declines so they cut routes.  With fewer routes, ridership and revenue decline further, leading my to more route cuts, and further ridership/revenue decline.

If so, I feel for them.  It’s a tough business, made only more difficult when you’re getting panned on social media.

Erik Thun · · Grand Junction · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Woah I'm a current member but thinking of canceling cause it's getting warm and routes are stale. What benefits got taken away?

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

From what I’ve been told all couples memberships where changed to to single memberships and charged the single membership rate. 

This is just a kind reminder if you get frustrated with GVC and decide to share your criticism with a google review. The owner might come after you with the ban hammer.

This came about a month after I posted my google review, 3 weeks since I quit, and 1 week after the billing cycle. I think he was looking for someone to blame for the decline in membership. This was disheartening to receive because this is the response to criticism.

Chad Miller · · Grand Junction, CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 150

This is disturbing. Has anyone else been banned in this manner?  

From the incident where 20 one star Google reviews were posted after the rate change one other climber and myself were banned.

According to other members in the community banning has happened in the past from similar situations.

On a side note I'm trying really hard not to go out on a rant here because I think this is a horribly bad sign for the future of this gym.

Adam bloc · · San Golderino, Calirado · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 2,185

Momentum and Earth Treks right about now

Why would they care?  They’re not competitors.

Hmm, GJ must have grown a lot since I lived there.

This topic is locked and closed to new replies.

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started