Anchors, Gear, Innovation, & Trolls

Original Post
Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

A recent spate of trolling, reinvention of the wheel, devising complex systems to replace existing simple methods.......

I'm now convinced that MP has attracted a bunch of sociology and psychology students who happen to climb that are conducting experiments for their Social Media 101 classes. Either that or Dunning-Kruger has reached an incredible level of penetration.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 13,267

Marc...it's the influx of gym rats that are utilizing social media to seek answers to their issues without doing the heavy lifting or their due diligence. It's human nature to seek the easy path, but in this case the result is serious injury and/or death if a troll or rat doesn't get sound advice or executes a procedure, technique, and/or system incorrectly. The Darwin Effect.

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I actually blame helicopter parents. Young adults who've never been told they're stupid. Nurture caused Dunning-Kruger I suppose.

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Lol. There's another one...

Honestly, I think the influx of anchors threads come from people who don't live near real rock (like me :( ) and practice hanging shit in their room. It's a nice way to practice different rigging methods but gets old fast so you start to experiment.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275
Ted Pinson wrote:Lol. There's another one... Honestly, I think the influx of anchors threads come from people who don't live near real rock (like me :( ) and practice hanging shit in their room.
I'd add that it also comes from people that don't have experienced climbing friends or mentors to ask before they post their, uh, innovations, on Mountain Project.
Russ Keane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 140

They should make a "Mountain Project Plus" for the really good climbers, it would have a password and limited membership. The regular site would be left for noobs, trolls, and the masses.

Rick Blair · · Denver · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 268
J Marsella wrote: Currently I am innovating an improvement on the kernmantle rope design.
I have thought about climbing on Mammut pro cord for a long time. It would eliminate the all to common core shot.
Mark E Dixon · · Sprezzatura, Someday · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 549
Russ Keane wrote:They should make a "Mountain Project Plus" for the really good climbers, it would have a password and limited membership. The regular site would be left for noobs, trolls, and the masses.
Maybe just chop all the posts under 5.12.
Seth Jones · · New Lenox, IL · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 25
Marc801 wrote: Either that or Dunning-Kruger has reached an incredible level of penetration.
While there have been a bunch of troll posts as well, I have noticed a ton of what seem like legit attempts to reinvent the wheel lately. Why? Who knows...

The Dunning-Kruger affect does seem to be getting stronger as more young people are raised with a lack of accountability for their actions and are filled with an overwhelming sense of entitlement.

Not completely related but this reminds me of this chart I found when I was first studying avalanches. Seems like it could be applied to climbing in a similar manner.

--- Invalid image id: 112112601 ---
Jan Tarculas · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 808
Russ Keane wrote:They should make a "Mountain Project Plus" for the really good climbers, it would have a password and limited membership. The regular site would be left for noobs, trolls, and the masses.
I would subscribe to this. Maybe even pay for it. Criteria is to be able to build a anchor and actually trust it
Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 158

I would pay for that too! Remove all the nonsense pissing matches you inflated 'good climbers' bring, lock it in a secure place where it will not affect the Internet of minds trying to constructively build and share knowledge. You can all play slap ass there. How much to cordon off all the trollenor shouters? I might chip in!

Maybe if we had real admins and moderators like Reddit, then a post could be distilled down to the core info. If an idea is really and truly broken, it would be down voted. I have never used Reddit, but someone pointed out its virtues to me the other day. I immediately thought of mountain project. Innovate on.

mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120
Marginally interested, but what would the criteria be to separate the wheat from the chaff? Climbs at least 5.0, or climber for over 10 years or... has at least 300 ascents on lead or...what?

seems a couple other possibilities are

-Bouldering Project
-Sport Climbing Project
-Trad Climbing Project
-Noob Climbing Project

Oh wait, those already exist as sub-forums

Seems we also need
-Gym Climbing Project

HAHAHAH yes! "Indoor Project" dot com

talk away, plastic heads!!

Andy Nelson · · Fort Collins, Colorado · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 343

Mountain Project already works......why reinvent it?

Andy Nelson wrote:...why reinvent it?
Because dammit, that's what people do around here!!!
Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 735

The de-construction and subsequent mis-use of gear including death triangle ( 30ft, down, sq. across from welded cams?) Top Rope? Set up? that was rigged
led me to remove, All fixed gear, they were not anchors, (crazy. It was Fixed single point lead gear!)
As a rule -due to the no bolt z in Ct?- I've left old cams in place.
So if it is stuck, Deep in a crack! -With no trigger- , It IS NOT bootey! Gha!
(Anyway that trash is gone)
A lightening strike and the burn-over, killing the trees n bushes (X 5anchors)
has changed the condition of The best of the zones.The water now seeps through from the top into the cracks. The Ravens Nest is Active, leave that climb alone,.TR right Next to it, but stay out of the nest/pooped up corner .

Played footsie with admins and access fund wonkzs...

Michael Schneider wrote:The de-construction and subsequent death triangle ( 30ft, down, sq. across from welded cams?) that was rigged led me to remove (crazy. It was Fixed single point lead gear!) All fixed gear anchors, ( see below As a rule -due to the no bolt z in Ct?- I've left old cams in place. So if it is stuck, Deep in a crack! -With no trigger- , It IS NOT bootey! Gha! (Anyway that trash is gone) A lightening strike and the burn-over, killing the trees n bushes (X 5anchors) has changed the condition of The best of the zones. The Ravens Nest is Active, leave that climb alone,. TR right Next to it, but stay out of the nest/pooped up corner . The water now seeps through from the top into the cracks. Played footsie with admins and access fund wonkzs...
Michael Schneider · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 735

Yeah yeah ,

it says, 'Anchors, Gear, Innovation, & Trolls'....??

So it is also asking for it ! -then, by the assigned word "Reply," I did.

SO,
in reply, (Not to the exact question )
But one that I was thinking of adding,
about half of it did get posted (about half of it diesel ....?did'nt, #m-typosrus)
then choose not to, . . . only to see this pop up !?

I felt it fit

Perfectly clear now ?

Crystal I hope (-;/

Michael Schneider wrote:Yeah yeah , it says trolls....?? but it assigned the Reply, so in reply to the exact question that I was thinking of adding then choose not to only to see this pop up I felt it fit Perfectly clear now
clear as mud.

Well, there goes that thread... Michael what on earth?

grog m aka Greg McKee · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Speaking of obnoxious, BENJAMIN CHAPMAN, are your comments on tons of photos on MP. Just general, dumb comments that are VERY OBVIOUSLY there to increase your point rank on MP.

Not sure you have room to talk.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply